Steering Column Jacket Bearing Etc.

Looks like I have a few parts missing at the end of my steering jacket tube. Is part 19-14-4 a regular ball bearing of some kind or is it something special? I've checked online and can't find a bearing that would fit around the steering wheel shaft and inside the jacket. (If someone knows of a source, please post it.) And what exactly are the spring, spacer, and insulator doing? 

20200314_153353_resized.jpg.93342771af4650ab0b58eb7584820102.jpg 20200314_152536_resized.jpg.dd16dfd494eb4a13fa09bb2507653ebe.jpg

20200314_152556_resized.jpg.84a6a705b59041f175f1e2a55470e48a.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Jocko,

the bearing supports the steering shaft inside the jacket and the spacer supports the top end of the bearing and provides a seat for the spring.  The spring holds this assembly in the jacket with proper tension from the steering wheel hub on the bearing.  All that is held in by the wheel nut.

• Like 1

I just pulled my wheel to restore it.  I took the spacer and spring out and noticed that the spacer was split.  I went to the same page you showed on your post and apparently it’s supposed to be split... I didn’t mess with the bearing, I figured if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...

• Like 1

That helps. If someone also knows the size, a part number, or a source for the bearing it would help too. Hopefully it's not one of those "Mission Impossible" things. Wouldn't it be nice if the parts book included some dimensions/detail for small things like this.

What kind of bearing is it? Is there a manufacturer name or number on it? Can you measure the inside and outside diameters? (That is, if it will come out without giving you an argument.) And I know I've seen that spacer around here somewhere. Now where did I store it? I think I also remember it being split.

Go to the parts book. The 19-14-4 number is a code number.  Cross reference that code number to the MOPAR part number listed in the index of the parts book, after the pictures.  Google that MOPAR number and it may help you find something. If you don’t have a parts book, go to the DPETCA site and use their on line part book.

to clarify:

insulator:  rubber bushing used to clamp column under the dash

bearing assembly:  tapered roller bearing; no p# on part
spacer:  split conical metal bushing

spring:  compresses the spacer into the bearing when the steering wheel hub is tightened onto the steering shaft, wedging the bearing onto its race

• Like 2

I have two columns apart on my bench and both have the bearing intact in the tube. In the picture, it looks to me like yours is still in the tube. One of mine was a little sticky and it cleaned up well with some penetrating oil and WD-40. Is there a more appropriate way to lubricate the bearing?  I didn’t try to force either of them out, but they don’t appear to come out easily.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vet Doc said:

I have two columns apart on my bench and both have the bearing intact in the tube. In the picture, it looks to me like yours is still in the tube. One of mine was a little sticky and it cleaned up well with some penetrating oil and WD-40. Is there a more appropriate way to lubricate the bearing?  I didn’t try to force either of them out, but they don’t appear to come out easily.

Bearing grease.

• Like 1

Well crap.  After reading through this thread I went and checked my steering column and wouldn't you know it, spacer 19-14-15 is missing ?

I'm sure trying to source one is going to be like looking for a hen's tooth.....

Vet Doc,

You are right! That is the bearing! It fooled me for a couple of reasons. First, it didn't look to me like any bearing I had ever seen (until I just now looked more carefully and saw the balls). Second, the hole in the middle of the bearing is too large to fit smoothly and snug over the steering wheel shaft. The spacer shown in the part book must be in there to take up the slack. Now I need to find that spacer and spring! The bearing on mine looks like it fits rather tightly into the steering jacket tube. 

JB,

Thanks for the explanation. That makes things very clear now. I'll add the insulator bushing to my growing DCM parts list. (Missing parts like the spacer are what gets me thinking about wanting to find a totally derelict Pilothouse that is well beyond salvation just for the parts it might still have on it. Trouble is, this hobby tends to take up more and more space and where am I going to put another truck?)

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

1 minute ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

Missing parts like this are what gets me thinking about wanting to find a totally derelict Pilothouse that is well beyond salvation just for the parts it might still have on it. Trouble is, this hobby tends to take up more and more space and where am I going to put another truck?

I've thought about that from time to time as well but then common sense finally takes hold and I drop that train of thought!  I've got enough projects laying around that will never get finished as it is so I'm trying my darndest to fight the urge :)

Brad

• Like 1

I found it! Had it stored away in a numbered plastic bag in a small parts box and written down on a list of small parts by bag number. What a relief! Hadn't seen that part for about four years! Finding a useable spring shouldn't be too hard.

209753350_SteeringColumnSpacer.jpg.a7c7d0dd47bbba1ace14c3dad9203ac0.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

I found it! Had it stored away in a numbered plastic bag in a small parts box and written down on a list of small parts by bag number. What a relief! Hadn't seen that part for about four years! Finding a useable spring shouldn't be too hard.

209753350_SteeringColumnSpacer.jpg.a7c7d0dd47bbba1ace14c3dad9203ac0.jpg

Interesting looking spacer.  I don't recall ever seeing one in any of my parts boxes/bags over the years.  

It fits perfectly into the center of the bearing and around the steering shaft. It, along with the bearing, keeps the jacket centered around the shaft so the jacket doesn't wobble. You have to remove the steering wheel to see it.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B