54 Plymouth Carb questions

SuperDave87

The Savoy I recently bought had a Stromberg bxves-3 on it that I'm pretty sure is junk. Engine won't rev and there doesn't seem to be any hardware to make the choke work. 

Anyway, I had a new (rebuilt by Autoline) Rochester BV from a 66 Bel Air project I have and the mounting bolt holes were right so I threw it on the Plymouth and it instantly ran better. It even revs now, even though the vacuum advance isn't hooked up at the moment. However, the Rochester doesn't have anything on the carb to operate the choke since on the Chevy 250/powerglide this carb is designed for has the heat riser on the manifold. New carbs are expensive and the Carter carb that, from what I can tell, is right for a Plymouth can't be had from United Carbs anymore and I can't find any place that has reasonably priced ones anymore. So, as it stands right now I'm thinking I may just keep the Rochester BV on it. Does anyone know if there's an electric choke conversion kit for the BV? Any advice or ideas on what I should do?

I'll plug the knockoff yf Ford 75-82 carb again. Brand new $65. Works like a charm.

Warm air type choke works great just running some metal fuel/brake line down by the manifold. Automatic high and intermediate idle. Vacuum holes at the bottom of the carb are slotted in the base so any gasket works.

Only mod required is taking the ball stud off and drilling the hole a hair larger.

Electric choke version as well.

Edited by 50mech

• 3 weeks later...

What engine is in the '54 Savoy? 218 or 230 L6? I believe it would originally have had a Carter BBS on it. They have an automatic thermostatic choke. If you have time and are patient I am sure you could round one up for a decent price. I see pare junkers are available for parts, if needed on Ebay.  Perhaps a couple old BBS carbs could be rounded up, and 1 good one made from the parts of both. Buy a rebuild kit and off ya go to rebuild it. That's working so far for me.  I have a couple spare parts carbs as needed for each of my old Mopars.