Have anyone used this UPPER SHOCK MOUNT

48ply1stcar

I'm getting ready for a front disc installation.  I've been reviewing front shock relocation brackets.  I was wondering if anyone has used these.  I don't think I want to buy the F1 mounts for $85 and hope I bend them the same on both sides.

Upper shock brackets.JPG

Problem with the mounts in question is that the frame is boxed and you would have to drill both sides of the frame to bolt it on, aligning those holes would require attention to detail.  Then there is the issue of a sleeve between the frame rails to prevent you from over tightening the bolts and collapsing the box in that area.

If the frame was a C channel type it'd be easier. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Problem with the mounts in question is that the frame is boxed and you would have to drill both sides of the frame to bolt it on, aligning those holes would require attention to detail.  Then there is the issue of a sleeve between the frame rails to prevent you from over tightening the bolts and collapsing the box in that area.

If the frame was a C channel type it'd be easier. 

Or just weld it?

Edited by 48ply1stcar
  • Like 2

This was the type of bracket a mate & myself made for my 1940 Dodge....seems to work o/k....I used some pieces of allthread about 4" long to help attach the brackets to the frame, the allthread was bolted onto the bracket/frame then the 5/16th bolts were used and the allthread then removed.........andyd

001.JPG

015.JPG

005.JPG

022.JPG

• Like 1

You can fly if you want................lol...........I just did a search on the forum and found the original thread that I posted.....its title is " Front Shock Relocation Pics" by me Andydodge , dated February 13 2019........it details the shocks used and a better explanation of the bracketry, etc.........if I was to do it again I'd make the brackets with a slightly higher shock mount by maybe 1-1.5 inches and find a shock with a longer extended length.......generally it seems o/k but it does sometimes bottom out which I think could be overcome with a longer shock, but having said that it still seems to be an improvement, I've probably got around 500kms on it and its working fine.........Andy Douglas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about these mounts, has anyone tried these????????????

Included input from a Facebook response 23 March Plymouth Owner Club FB page.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainless-Steel-Upper-Front-Shock-Bracket-Unpolished,3331.html?sku=91636004&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjYHpBRC4ARIsAI-3GkFLtxzfJilBGZSZhmItTbUbLWy6QevPtWv8vHLenAav8Dy3flQey58aAspEEALw_wcB

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by 48ply1stcar
added info

Hey, you might get to go first on these......buy mount and report your success story....I see nothing wrong with the design...EXCEPT possibility of the top holes for the shock bolt not very high off a stock frame given you have to yet bolt these on and you should have plenty of room for that...   I say this only for one reason...what shock to mount...it will need be considered before  hand.  I think I would inquire of the distance of the top holes in relationship to the mount boss....

On 3/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, 48ply1stcar said:

I don't think I want to buy the F1 mounts for $85 and hope I bend them the same on both sides.

They don't have to be exactly precise. You won't be able to tell if one is off 1/4" from the other, and you should be able to get them closer than that by eyeball.

But I don't like the eccentric forces imposed by this shock design. Putting the shock inside the coilspring is a much MUCH better way. Virtually every modern car does so.

My P15 is like yours, but with short KYB High pressure gas shocks and cut coils. This worked OK, but the eccentric forces cause premature suspension wear, and the extra load caused my lower shock pin to snap off the upright. I used short shocks so they couldn't bottom out and break things, but I did just the same.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:10 PM, Eneto-55 said:

I would like to see the MoPar ones from the '38 Plymouth ('37? - pre IFS) compared side by side with the Ford ones.  Looks like Ford copied.

This is the upper mount on my 37, same as on my 38.

005.JPG

• Thanks 2