Roadster P15

Ulu

I've been looking a long time for pics of any P15 that has been converted to a roadster.

Has there ever been one? In those millions? Somebody must have done it.

I've never seen one, though I've seen a number of convertibles. I really don't want one. Too heavy and complex.

I have 3 other vehicles with roofs, and I want this one to be a lighter open car.

Since I am working with a Club Coupe, it might be easier than other body styles.

But I expect it to be difficult nonetheless.

DSCF7228.JPG.45cc9c6d4096ba3d87dccc89adcfc973.JPG

I am sure it has been done like you said but have never seen it on a P15. I do believe that the convertibles are equipped with a more beefed up frame to strengthen the body due to the absence of the steel roof. Good luck with whatever you decide.

John R

• Like 1

A well made roaster would be trick....the convertible tops on these model look like a total afterthought in style and looks up or down position.   A nicely done tonneau with zippered compartment would be all you need as most of these cars are fair weather drivers as  it is...the absence of the framework for the folding top would greatly improve the looks.   If you go for it, failure is not an option....quitting midstream you will be drawn and quartered at least verbally....make that thing......…..ALL AMERICAN

tumblr_66dae6199d10e9b133b5a4564d491061_82bc98c7_250.gif

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The Plymouth Roadster is one of my favorites.  Unfortunately, I'll never see one in my possession.  Sometime back I Photoshopped a "hardtop" version of my P15 just for fun.  Next step would be to completely remove the top and finish with a tonneau cover like Plymouthy says.

Img_4116a.jpg

If I was cutting up a Packard I'd be more circumspect, but what I have to work with is a dented Plymouth, and the least rare of them all. 

So it'll be radical custom. I may yet keep the 230 flathead/OD/3.90 running gear, but I have no crazy ideas of HAMBly construction.

I long ago got my use of this car, and if I just cut it up for scrap I'd be money ahead.

I actually want to lighten the car a lot, and with that in mind the seats have already been scrapped. When I get done it will likely only hold 2 passengers.

But it all gets so much worse . . .I just don't want to shock you all at once. When I light the torch anything is possible.

Including a pile of smoking scrapmetal.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

. . .most of these cars are fair weather drivers . . .

We are very lucky, Plymouthy. So far, foul weather is unknown here. No snow ever. It will rain lightly on rare days, but it's commonly sunstroke where one must beware. A hat is essential.

Look at this old pic from 1982. It's an arid climate still.

EDP2.jpg.e0e6cdc164dd1afaf10a74714107515e.jpg

BTW, my car had VW tires, fake Chevy wheel covers, 2 Ford wheels &  a caddy paint code when I bought it.

All that is gone now, but, are you gonna fuss just because I use GM paint? That firemist green is awesome in the sun under a blue sky.

Trying to make a topless car out of a conventional body could be a huge project.
The Briggs bodied open DPCD cars of the '36 through '48 were some of the finest bodies ever built. They had special re-enforcing in the body, extending all the way from the cowl to the tail section. In addition, the Briggs bodied cars were the only ones to have three hinges on the doors.
I can truthfully say that I never had much respect for the Chrysler line of vehicles until I acquired my '39 Plym conv, working on the Plym really changed my mind. Wm.

• Like 1

GM don't make paint...they just buy it contract.....narrow VW tires...gasser stuff on these old rides....Ford wheel cover, found beside the road most likely, kinda fails economically really...they did not even stay on the Ford wheel.....?  I could go on but I really got some work to do...just assembled a head, installed a few new studs, core  plug and what not.  I need to make a split washer thick enough for a backer as the gland nut is not long enough to pack the sender into the head against the taper and also need to make four yoke washers for where the intake/exhaust are split joint......will do this one night in the shop when I feel like powering up the lathe.  

Somebody told me those were repop 56 chevy wheel covers, sans emblems?

The P15  briggs body is awesome, except those unreinforced belt line creases where the 2 doors all crack. And mine had some misalignments when they hit it with the spotwelder.

The trim hides things it shouldn't have to. And mine is already a bit damaged. Anyhow, as a manufacturing engineer with structural experience, .I really can cut this up and make it work, as long as I am willing and physically able to do all the work..

Here is a quickie paste-up of what could happen.  Sorry about all the gray primer ;)

blu3.jpg.66546391d6e245cc8223c55ca1183315.jpg

Remember, t his car was quite imperfect (in spite of the trophys)  when I bought it, and as I mentioned, It could wind up as scrap.

See I want to push the cowl back. And the doors. I was just going to weld the doors, but my wife refuses to climb over the side.

She can do it in the boat. Go figure?

Doing this mod will require re-framing the "b" post . I'll create an inner structure as required, using the new seat frame. A tall rocker box would be best, so the bottom door sill could rise a lot.

I'll just cut the door tops off, trim & and upholster them. It may have only one operating door. 

By building the seat frame as a sheet metal structure, I can reinforce the open shell.

The cowl will be a doozey & I will probably just re-skin the top, and build a roadster windshield with hidden attachments.

Extra body mounts would be a snap, and I'd probably add 4 minimum.

I can push the engine back. A lot, or install a looong engine. I'm trading passenger space for engine space. WooHoo!

image.png.42f961524ce7cde33af26114700916bf.pngPlenty of room for a plymouth V-12!

image.png

1 hour ago, Ulu said:

blu3.jpg.66546391d6e245cc8223c55ca1183315.jpg

This is what a PV544 Roadster would look like given the cowl profile and longer hood...short deck and you can't fool me with those Ford alloys that are made in Italy for the compact spare......I got my eye on you......Actually as the Volvo PV544 share the 4.5 lug circle...I already have a set of these same wheels with the Ford name and number removed, centered and drilled, tapped to use the AR alloy center caps....

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

This is what a PV544 Roadster would look like given the cowl profile and longer hood...short deck and you can't fool me with those Ford alloys that are made in Italy for the compact spare......I got my eye on you......Actually as the Volvo PV544 share the 4.5 lug circle...I already have a set of these same wheels with the Ford name and number removed, centered and drilled, tapped to use the AR alloy center caps....

I love it!  I'd often though about Roadsterizing a Volvo 544.  Had one back in the day.   It would be half the size of the P15 Roadster shown above.  

The wheels are 17" Dodge Magnums.

6 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

image.png.42f961524ce7cde33af26114700916bf.pngPlenty of room for a plymouth V-12!

image.png

It's a real alligator of a hood. I might have to make it open sideways, 2-piece, like a Dodge.

5 hours ago, Ulu said:

Oh gee thanks Plymouthy. The PV544 was the ugliest thing on wheels!

I thought Saabs were ugly until I saw that Volvo!

OMG how quick we forget the Aztec....these old Mopars are nice but stylish is not a common descriptor, none of them really were for that era....and the Volvo just carried it through the mid 60's least we soon forget what bulbous styling was all about.....lol  so if you think that is ugly...your modified cowl is out...else,...its an oversuzed 544

I'm weird 'cause I like the PV544, '60 Valiant, and other odd cars.  Still think the 54  Stude coupe is the best looking ever.

40s/50s mopars were not flashy, pretty or even cute.  But they are among the best engineered/designed/assembled car made.  Example:  How many flathead Fords have cracked valve seats and cylinders? Lots.  I remember removing heads from a stack of 24 looking for a usable block, back in the early 60s.  How many Mopar flatties have the same issue.  I've never personally seen one.  There is  a reason for that water distribution tube..

Roadster?  How about a long deck 3 window Chrysler, 46/48?  That would be awesome.

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

OMG how quick we forget the Aztec....these old Mopars are nice but stylish is not a common descriptor, none of them really were for that era....and the Volvo just carried it through the mid 60's least we soon forget what bulbous styling was all about.....lol  so if you think that is ugly...your modified cowl is out...else,...its an oversuzed 544

Don't be such a dik PA. I clearly remember you telling me how stylish you thought the P-15 was back when I said it was maybe fair to mediocre..

I first saw a Volvo in the 60's after moving to Duluth. (Actually, I'd never seen a Saab, either 'til '66.) Nobody in Phoenix bought Volvos! FUUUGLY!

Even here, only a total square drives a Volvo.

Edited by Ulu

And I thought I was well rounded person...

Now I'm  square...jeesh

Some people are really mean.

gotta laugh at that comment.....you the one that seems to forget that this 544 is also that of the big fat fender are equal to our mopars in style....and it is said to be the 46 Ford in basic lines from the get go and to that end it shares a lot with big fender era.  But at the same time you should give the Swedes credit for carrying this style in the late 60's if you can't see that then you more brand blind than most on here and I am the worst for being brand blind...are these old mopar cars in any manner stylish? Only to the degree a mother loves her offspring.....as  we enter new design eras you now have styles and shapes to yet pick another favorite representing the changing times....I have a 1962 PV544 Sport here at the house.....I like a lot of cars...but hate GM with a PAP...how many times have you fallen off that skateboard?

5 hours ago, kencombs said:

I'm weird 'cause I like the PV544, '60 Valiant, and other odd cars.  Still think the 54  Stude coupe is the best looking ever.

40s/50s mopars were not flashy, pretty or even cute.  But they are among the best engineered/designed/assembled car made.  Example:  How many flathead Fords have cracked valve seats and cylinders? Lots.  I remember removing heads from a stack of 24 looking for a usable block, back in the early 60s.  How many Mopar flatties have the same issue.  I've never personally seen one.  There is  a reason for that water distribution tube..

Roadster?  How about a long deck 3 window Chrysler, 46/48?  That would be awesome.

you be at home if you visited...61 Lancer sport coupe, 62 Lancer GT...2 62 Darts,  2 62 Polara and of course the PV544...I got ugly sewed up here in the south...sold the Stude a bit back...guy needed it more than his money....I was glad to make the trade....

47 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

And I thought I was well rounded person...

Now I'm  square...jeesh

Some people are really mean.

Now don't take that to heart. I'm not well-rounded at all.

Everything has its place. Volvos are reliable cars, but in this town too, Volvo was a choice of wealthy (turbo)soccer moms and old (non-turbo) female teachers.

Now to be honest, I've had several square cars. Clunky sedans, etc.

I had a '59 ranger. My fastback VW was another odd duck, plus a couple IH's. 

Unfortunately I was never a photographer, and virtually no photos of my vehicles exist, taken before the digital age. My wife took this about 1989.

eddie2.jpg.6b15b78c150438a9fc72fe3dac417339.jpg

• Like 1