Spring test drive - I want more top end

48ply1stcar
Go to solution Solved by 48ply1stcar,

“ I out ran it?

I joined the club at age 80. I finished the brakes on my Suburban, engine is ready, now on jack stands for detailed safety check,  can’t work like I used to.  

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

“ I out ran it?

I joined the club at age 80. I finished the brakes on my Suburban, engine is ready, now on jack stands for detailed safety check,  can’t work like I used to.  

I know the feeling at 77.  Remember my Dad saying when he was seventy-something:  any old guy that says he can do anything he did at 25, didn't do much at 25!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Any theories on why the main jet seemed to be adequate as the engine was operated when the transmission was  2nd gear? Yet in 3rd gear the air/fuel ratio fell flat? 

maybe I didn't wind it out in 2nd gear and the momentum of the excelleration from say 10 to 30 and then letting off the gas to shift wasn't enough to starve for fuel.

Many people are not aware that a weak coil can mimic all kinds of problems, ie; bad fuel pump, plugged filter, etc.

As I mentioned in my earlier Pertronix comment, regarding using a pertronix  ignition module. You must use Pertonix 12v coil with their system. The reason being that 6v systems have a lot of resistance, the 12v coil helps to over come this problem.

When I bought the Pertronix for the '53 Pontiac, a flat-head 8 cyln, the parts store gave me a unit that reputedly fit all Pontiac 8's.. I called Pertroix, asking them if I had the right unit, was told no, they gave me the correct part number and told me to use their FlameThrower coil on a 6v negative ground system.

I learned a very valuable lesson many years ago.. "Don't Let The Directions On The Can Outsmart You"...

In recent years I have found that there are to few vehicles with point ignitions, therefore good points are almost impossible to find. Wm.

• Thanks 1