Truck Running Crappy

Took the truck out yesterday morning and it drove great. Went out in the afternoon and it started acting up - sputtering and hesitating through acceleration and losing power at cruising speed. Pulled and cleaned plugs and they looked fine. Gas is not that old and it starts right up. At a fast idle (2,000rpm) in the shop it was hard to keep it steady as it kept falling off. At regular idle (450rpm) it’s fine. This is a 230 bored .060 over with mild cam, Fenton headers and factory two barrel Stromberg. Any ideas?

Hard to hear it from here, but if it sounds like it's missing/erratic combustion, I'd look first at points and condenser.

OTOH, if it just smoothly looses power and slows, it could be a fuel delivery issue.  Pump not producing enough volume, filter, air leak before the pump etc.

Possible vacuum leak?

Have you tried the hand over the carb to see if it tries to surge back to life?

If everything is snug, it should start to stall and die.

If it has a leak, it'll "fight" to stay running.

48D 

• Like 1

Jim;

Not absolutely positive.....but the tach might not be compatible with your Pertronix module. I could never get mine to work correctly so I ended up leaving it disconnected. Others have had similar issues. I found I can live without the Tach.....and do not want to take a chance damaging the module.

Jeff

On 3/11/2020 at 11:53 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

Jim;

Not absolutely positive.....but the tach might not be compatible with your Pertronix module. I could never get mine to work correctly so I ended up leaving it disconnected. Others have had similar issues. I found I can live without the Tach.....and do not want to take a chance damaging the module.

Jeff

Seems to me if that were the case it would have started as soon as the tach was installed. The tach has been installed since the first of the year. That being said, it's easy enough to pull the coil wire and see what happens. I'm leaning (no pun intended...) toward fuel delivery problem. What would cause it to suddenly act up? If the issue is the pump, could the diaphragm be the problem?

• Like 1

I did pull the air cleaner and look into the carb while it was running. It does appear as though the gas doesn't shoot out as much under acceleration. As I said, it'll idle fine but when I accelerate it stalls. I guess the pump could have just failed...

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 11:50 AM, Jim Shepard said:

Seems to me if that were the case it would have started as soon as the tach was installed. The tach has been installed since the first of the year. That being said, it's easy enough to pull the coil wire and see what happens. I'm leaning (no pun intended...) toward fuel delivery problem. What would cause it to suddenly act up? If the issue is the pump, could the diaphragm be the problem?

Jim;

You are probably right. I just thought I would throw this idea out there. Electronics devices like these modules can be sensitive to all sorts of things......like increased resistance etc. I have found it doesn't pay to take chances.

Sounds like you are on track with the fuel delivery system.

Jeff

good find indeed Jim, I thought it was acting up because you mentioned switching to an automatic transmission :)

• Haha 1

This sounded like a fuel problem to me....

Also check the check ball at the bottom of the accelerator pump well. It usually gets gummed up and/or rusty/caked with mineral fallout. 

Carbs need goin' through every few years no matter what. 

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1