Slant six in P15

Sebastian Soutiño

Hello, I ask you if you have seen slant six engines mounted on P15 chassis. Looking at the forum I saw a Chrysler 53´ but not a P15. In my country it is very difficult to get spare parts for flathead and much more difficult to find who repairs them correctly. However, if there are many spare parts of Slant. It was a widely used engine here and there are still many running daily. My idea is to mount it in a Desoto 47 that arrived here in chassis P15. Thank you for the help you could provide me.

It can be done but you will have measure and notch the fire wall as the \6 is a good deal longer than the flathead. The radiator will have to move forward some as well. Engine mounts will have to be fabricated and you will have to be mindful of the oil pan fitment around the steering linkage. You'll have to consider transmission mounts. You have you work cut out for you. Another member is install a 4.0L Jeep I-6 and ATO in a 49 or 50 Dodge if I recall. Share pictures!

I saw a P15 for sale in a car coral a few years ago with a slant 6 in it.  Judging from the firewall mounted master cylinder and the late model Dodge steering wheel and column with auto shifter, it could have had an F body (Aspen / Volare / Diplomat / 5 th Avenue) front clip grafted on.

Ok, the modification seems not to be very simple since I plan to do everything myself. I will carefully evaluate what should be done. The truth is that I had my experience with the original flathead and really enjoyed the engine, but I also suffered to repair it and that is why I thought of the Slant six in principle because I want to keep the Chrysler spirit in the car and also because I have taken it darling to the slant in another car that I also had.

Below some photos of the car. It is basically a Plymouth P15 which, with some modifications, was marketed here as DeSoto.

The intake admission is a Slant six engine that here equipped a Valiant sports model, derived from the Dodge Dart.

thumbnail_20200301_135944.jpg

20200308_210426.jpg

Multiple GT.jpg

Not a bolt in but can be done.  What parts do you need to keep your engine going?  As this is an export, how long is the cylinder head of your engine? In US Plymouth used 23.5 inch, DeSoto had 25 inch. If your car was made in S America it could have the longer engine making the swap a small bit easier.

The engine is a 217 "and the difficult parts are all from the kit of seals, bearings, and not to mention the water recirculation tube ... To make matters worse, the current import costs of my country impose very high values. All this I think about changing the engine. The 318 "V8 could be another option if it is certain that it can adapt.

18 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Skip the /6, just do the 318. 

318 in my opinion too.  Almost as many of those as the slant 6 and it's a real work horse.  Wrecking yard parts should be readily available.  That coupled to the stock 904 transmission makes a lot of sense.  You'll have to fabricate motor and transmission mounts and maybe move the radiator to the front side of the core support.

IMG_1742.JPG

• Like 1

Check out one of our regular advertisers on this forum. He sells motor and trans swap mounts for Mopar 318-360 motors in 47 Mopars.

Butchscoolstuff.com

DJ

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, ACJCF2 said:

It can be done but you will have measure and notch the fire wall as the \6 is a good deal longer than the flathead. The radiator will have to move forward some as well. Engine mounts will have to be fabricated and you will have to be mindful of the oil pan fitment around the steering linkage. You'll have to consider transmission mounts. You have you work cut out for you. Another member is install a 4.0L Jeep I-6 and ATO in a 49 or 50 Dodge if I recall. Share pictures!

No you don't just move the radiator support forward.....no hacking the firewall. Read the following article.

https://www.cascadepacificplymouth.org/510westphalswap.html

you going from one engine that is long out of production and some parts is somewhat limited and very expensive if you looking for HP gains....to yet another engine that is also outdated, no longer supported and limited in sources for HP gains and way much harder to retrofit.....I see this as a step backwards even given at this time they are available to you.  The swap to the small block 318 will give you way better ease of retrofit, ample source for parts and all at the more affordable pricing.  But of course this is all your cost and the efforts to fit all falls on you or your chosen shop.....we can just advise.   

• Like 1

The OP is in Argentina.

Importing parts from the US costs him a lot.

Odd that the junkyards of Argentina are brimming with 318's and 904's is probably minimal.

Let's keep that in mind when suggesting things.

• Like 1

Seals and gaskets can be manufactured, but good bearings are very difficult. 

I've owned the '47 Plymouth flathead, the Dodge slant 6 Van, and the Plymouth 318 Volare.

If you can find a 318 donor car it would be easier to install than the slant 6; and the 318 is simply a far superior engine in many ways (in addition to the extra power.)

But the slant 6 is still a real workhorse, and I wouldn't hesitate to cut that car to install one if that was available.

If you had a really rare car my opinion might be different, but I'd get a grinder and a saw and start a clearance project. ;)

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

The OP is in Argentina.

Importing parts from the US costs him a lot.

Odd that the junkyards of Argentina are brimming with 318's and 904's is probably minimal.

Let's keep that in mind when suggesting things.

understood and noted but if you were to look, Chrysler in Brazil made tons of these cars with V8s and the Dakota was also popular in the 90 and by that time the slant was gone and V6 was common as was yet the V8   

• Like 1

Personally I'd go with the V8, the 318 & Auto should be a reasonably straight forward fit and as has been mentioned it has a better choice of aftermarket parts, generally speaking it should fit without any issues tho' will have to be mounted an inch or two to the passenger side to clear the steering box.........this offset mounting was something that Mopar did from the factory in various cars so thats not a big issue.........the engine bay thats made for a six will fit the V8 lengthways and so long as you are o/k with making mounts or modifying the stock V8 ones then you should be fine.......andyd  

Dear sirs, you have encouraged me to move forward with the assembly of the new engine. I don't like modifying vehicles, but frankly, I've wasted a lot of time looking for parts. I also have a Ply 47 'with all the original mechanics, except the 12V conversion, so I will finally have one in the original state and another modified one. All your opinions have been very valuable to me and I will take them into account before defining myself by / 6 or 318 ". Thank you all very much for the help and I will keep you updated on the news.