Rain-X

TodFitch

Due to a little altercation on the LA Metro Area freeways last week, I am pressing the Plymouth into a week or so of “daily driver” status.

It has been a while since I’ve worried about the windshield wiper motor and it is past the point of cleaning and lubrication: It really needs a full rebuild. I’ve been lazy about getting to that as I usually avoid driving the old car in the rain anyway

But guess what? If the weather people are on the mark, this will be one of the few times we will have rain this rainy season.

171312577_ScreenShot2020-03-06at4_37_51PM.png.6de734d9b1af4c3bffd47051c8117f5e.png

So, I am hoping that:

• The Rain-X works well.
  • We need the rain, so I guess I shouldn’t hope the forecasters are optimistic. Just hope that any errands I need to run can be done when there is a lull in the weather.
  • That the highway patrol identifies the driver of the other car (unlikely as the windows were tinted).
  • If they can’t nail the driver for hit and run they can at least nail the car’s owner for something. Maybe tinted front windows.
  • That my insurance company can identify the perp’s insurance carrier, if any, and recover, among other, things my deductible.

OUCH what a dunderhead...hope ya can get that all squared away without blowing a gasket...

Rain-X works shockingly well to the point where ya might not need your wiper blades on at all...the biggest problem I had is plowing through bugs, that tends to make a mess during late spring through summer, which is typically dry weather in these parts so I don't mess with reapplying...but in cooler weather, it works quite well :cool:

• Like 1

Back in '98 I encountered a heavy rain between Nogales and Phoenix.  I think that was the only time that happened during my 2 years in AZ.  I had just purchased the motor home and windshield wiper motor quit after less that 5 minutes of run time!  Fortunately the dealer had Rainx'ed the windshield. Wipers weren't even needed.  Big ol' windshield shed the water like a duck.

• Like 1

Rain-X is one of those products that works as well or better than advertised! I use it a lot and am always satisfied with how well the rain clears from the windshield. Once you hit 10MPH the rain just moves out of the way. Highly recommend!!

• Like 2

Yes, I too use Rain-X as the WW wipers on my '53 are far from adequate. It works well. I tend to not drive my vintage cars in the rain. However sometimes you get caught by surprise. The rain-x is a lifesaver. I have not the time lately to dig in and try to improve my stock wipers, so until then rain-x is the solution for me.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

when I worked for Minit-Lube  we use to apply it for customers the first time when they purchased the product. 

The “fog x” also works good, just a pain to prep and apply on the modern slant windshields and around the mirrorS ( especially when your in a hurry  ?)

• Like 1

The rain predicted for last night and this morning blew over pretty quickly and it was clear by sunrise. Looks like Monday night through Wednesday is the only real time for rain this week. I can easily manage things so I don't have to drive for Tuesday and Wednesday and I should get the modern car back from the body shop by Thursday or Friday.

So maybe I didn't have to put Rain-X on the Plymouth after all but I guess it didn't hurt.

Now if I can get feed back from my insurance that they have determined the carrier for the miscreant who hit and ran maybe I can get my deductible back. It would be nice to hear back from the CHP regarding if they are actually investigating this and if they've been able to identify the driver.

By the way, I was astounded to find that the OEM price for the LED headlight assembly is $1250 and the turn light assembly is $625. Nearly $2000 in just two easily broken parts! Yikes! Makes the parts for the old Plymouth seem dirt cheap.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that is what makes LKQ the success story that it is...….

Had to look up who LKQ were. I know about Pick Your Part, did not realize they were part of LKQ. The body shop tells me that my insurance company requires OEM parts be used on repairs. I am guessing that is to reduce the market for cars being stolen for parts.

I am pretty sure that the body shop would be unable to use the current Fiat-Chrysler Corporation to source a headlight bucket, fender or front bumper for my Plymouth. But I can't get those off Amazon either and it could be a long while before they'd show up on ePay too.

Most Insurance company use LKQ after a car becomes two years old, and the reason they use LKQ parts is money, most LKQ parts are half the price of OEM. They do not use used parts or LKQ parts on steering or suspension know matter the year.

Drove through some light rain today. . .

The windshield on my '33 Plymouth is vertical enough that the water droplets don't get blown off. They just dance around merging until a droplet forms big enough to migrate down to the cowl area where it then gets blow off. Sort of interesting to watch. That said, the Rain-X did keep the windshield clear enough that visibility was no issue.

• Thanks 1

My wife uses Rain-X on shower doors and mirrors in the bathrooms.  She claims that there is no water spotting and need for squeegee use.  The down side is that I need to check a car for Rain-X prior to leaving for a weekend.   

Back when I was a kid I used to wash and wax the old man's car, partly because it was to pay him back for letting me borrow it and partly because I was driving it too.  Turtle wax on the windshield worked as well as Rain X, though it didn't last as long.  But I washed it every weekend and waxed it once a month.  You do have to make sure you buff it off real good or you will see a haze, especially at night with other headlights hitting your windshield.

Rain-X has an aerosol clean and repel product that works quite well.  I resisted for some time thinking it was a do-all product that probably didn't work very well.  What I particularly like is  I can achieve a streak free windshield that was almost impossible with the original stuff.  It's important too to apply and let cure per the directions.

• Thanks 1

My experience with rain x years ago was it killed the life of wiper blade rubberl.  So if you decide to use it don't use your wipers after it is applied.  If your wipers aren't working that is probably not a concern.  Maybe modern refills are more tolerant of the rain x formula but I remember it killed the old rubber ones quite quickly.

been using rain-X on all my vehicles for over a decade.  Good stuff.  Basically a wax for glass (why it's hard to clean off if you stop using it). 

• 2 weeks later...