Can a Pressure Plate/Clutch Cover be adjusted without C-585 Fixture?

'41 Fat Bottom Girl

I found that my "41Dodge pressure plate, although the surface is excellent, seems to be a bit off-plane to the mounting bolts surface...and I would like to check it and make adjustments if necessary after checking all the fingers, eye-bolts, pins and seats for wear. Per my shop manual, adjustment requires a C-585 fixture. I have a press with a deep enough throat to fit the assembly to depress the 3 release fingers for disassembly and reassembly, but I don't know if the actual adjustment after reassembly is possible without the fixture.

Alternately, if there is suspicious wear and I decide to buy a new assembly, it would be good to be able to check it before I install it back on my newly resurfaced flywheel.

Any suggestions?

Thanx!

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

This is rich Hartung and I have a lot of the miller tool but not the pressure plate tool.  from my reading in my miller tool catalogs I would feel that you would need the tool because of the three flat arms that are used to adjust the three fingers and the  leveling of the PP.

Also remember that the PP is under a great amount of pressure so with the proper tool you can  minimize the potential parts flying and hitting you in the face.

Just my 25cents wothof infor.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Anything to do with a clutch, I would recommend Tennessee Clutch and Supply.  I was having trouble with my clutch pedal free play and it turned out my flywheel had been resurfaced by having 0.200 inch machined off.  As recommended by others on this forum contacted Randall at Tennessee Clutch and Supply.  He adjusted the clutch assembly as required for my use.  Very quick turnaround and not a whole lot of $$$.  Google them and give them a call.  Worked great for me.   Regards.

46 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I have some good news and I have some bad news.

Good news is, I found Miller tool you mentioned.

Bad news it's $500.

Now if you wanted to go into the old car clutch plate rebuilding business, then maybe.

I looked at this pp gig real nice tool to have but if you canget a rebuilt pressure plate for around $100 why would you even think about getting this tool.  It would be a fun tool to have because of the history of th eMiller Tool company but in all reality are you ever going to  adjust a PP. Most mechanics of today would not even attempt to do this. It is a replace only type of business and not a repair business.

I have a large collection of the early Miller tools that start with the letter c and run up into the early 1950's Would love to have it but not a this price.  Seem to be complete.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Sniper I have to agree with you A lot of rebuilders state that the item has been entirely rebuilt. As an example look at distrubtors. Listers and sellers state that the unit was totally rebuilt but when you question them about what they did they just list putting in a NOS breaker plate assembly.  To really rebuild the dizzy you should put in the new bushings also or verify that at least the current bushing do not have any play in them.  There are specialtools required to do these rebuild like spring tension testing are the weight replaced ectera.

After I read my miller tool catalog on the c585 pp gig yes you can not adjust a PP without the c585 and the appropriate spacer to insure that the fingers are all adjusted properly so that you are equal distance around the entire plate.

Would be a neat tool to have but when you cab get a PP already done for around $75  the additional 425 is a bit hard to swallow.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I agree, the price is high.  Which doesn't mean we can keep an eye out for one that's less costly.  Out of curiosity, where are you seeing $75 pressure plates?  

Kanter lists one for $147.

Bernbaum's is $128.

Hagen's is $126.

I do need to rebuild my clutch linkage, other than torque shaft bushings any other ought to replace items?  Obviously if I find out the ball studs or torque shaft is damaged I will replace those.

The seller of that PP tool will likely have it for a long time at that price.

Ebay hoser...

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

I agree, the price is high.  Which doesn't mean we can keep an eye out for one that's less costly.  Out of curiosity, where are you seeing $75 pressure plates?  

Kanter lists one for $147.

Bernbaum's is $128.

Hagen's is $126.

I do need to rebuild my clutch linkage, other than torque shaft bushings any other ought to replace items?  Obviously if I find out the ball studs or torque shaft is damaged I will replace those.

On ebay for my 1939 Desoto and its the correct one. I can verify the number because I have a Borg and Beck clutch and Pressure Plate catalog that goes from mid 30- mid 50's.

Rich

Desoto1939@aol.com