Have to sell Cambridge, but how much should I ask?

Jason @ Crazy 8

I have to sell my 52 Cambridge. I love it, but I need the money. Any ideas on how much I should ask? I had it posted on Craigslist for $4k or best offer a while back and had no takers. Is that unreasonable? The ad read as follows:

1952 Plymouth Cambridge (P-23)
4 Door
Original Inline 6 - 217 with a Stromberg carb, Oil bath gutted for modern style air filter, Pertronix Electronic ignition, Rebuild Radiator, Rebuilt Starter, 6 volt positive ground (with an Optima 6v battery).
3 Speed (Column shift)
Handmade Tan & Brown Interior, door panels are ABS plastic under the carpet/vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

20190625_115203.jpg

Edited by Jason @ Crazy 8

A lot depends on your location and the time of the year.  We're coming up on "car show season" so you might want to keep at it for a bit.  $4K sounds reasonable to me, too. 

The problem with CL is you're pretty much locked in to the local market, so the potential buyer pool is much smaller.  The key to generating interest on a CL ad is to take a lot of good, hi-res pictures, and make sure you show the front, rear, sides, interior, dash, trunk, engine bay and (if possible) the undercarriage.  If you have a CL account, they let you post a lot of pictures in your ad.  Try to make the car show well.  Park it in front of your house on the street....not in your back yard.  Better yet, take it to your local city park and take photos in front of a good scenic view, if possible.  Make sure it's washed and clean.  Describe as much of the car in the ad as possible.  If it runs and drives and is currently registered and used regularly, say so.  If it has a clean title, say so.  Finally, be prepared to negotiate.  You likely won't get whatever your asking price is as potential buyers always want to negotiate.  Start a bit high and you can go down from there.

Good luck with the sale. 

Edited by hi_volt

On 3/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jason @ Crazy 8 said:

I have to sell my 52 Cambridge. I love it, but I need the money. Any ideas on how much I should ask? I had it posted on Craigslist for $4k or best offer a while back and had no takers. Is that unreasonable? The ad read as follows:

1952 Plymouth Cambridge (P-23)
4 Door
Original Inline 6 - 217 with a Stromberg carb, Oil bath gutted for modern style air filter, Pertronix Electronic ignition, Rebuild Radiator, Rebuilt Starter, 6 volt positive ground (with an Optima 6v battery).
3 Speed (Column shift)
Handmade Tan & Brown Interior, door panels are ABS plastic under the carpet/vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

20190625_115203.jpg

If you are active on Facebook, you may want to try their Marketplace. I bought a '56 Plymouth Suburban that Paul Flaming saw their 2 months ago. I inquired about some other vehicles through FB Marketplace a couple of times since then and it seems a little safer that CL, because the sellers and buyers are FB members, with profiles, etc.

Collector Car's 2019 Price Guide lists your car in "Good" condition at $2,440. They state that their prices are based on past sales, and are not wholesale or retail, but what an informed buyer might pay a knowledgeable seller in an arms-length transaction. Good condition is listed as " a drivable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional. All components may need restoration to be excellent, but the vehicle is mostly usable as is.