Need help.... lost compression

Jeff H

Hey guys,

I need some help.  I had my 1950 B2B running well.  Thought I may have had a blown head gasket and decided I should replace it.  Installed the new gasket and now the truck will not start and I checked compression and I am down to 60 psi.  Prior to replacing the gasket I was in the low 90's.  I then decided to put the old gasket back on just to get it running again.  Still will not start and compression is still in the 50-60 range.  What did I do????  I am not a mechanic but thought I would be able to handle the head gasket replacement.  I would really really appreciate any thoughts.  

Thanks.

I got my 218 running on 65 psi compression,that was the highest of all 6. 
you testing all the cylinders?  
checked for spark?

and is there a chance carb has flooded and washed the cylinders down?  

I will most likely not get back out to my shop until Wednesday now but I do have a question about wash down.  When I add the oil to the cylinders do I put the oil in each cylinder, put the plugs back in and crank it over?  just want to make sure I do it correctly to get the oil where it is supposed to go.  

Thanks again guys!

It would be helpful to 'guide'  the oil into the cylinder, rather than just pouring into the plug hole.  That hole isn't over the piston.  Some cylinders will see all the oil run past an open valve.  Others will just have most of the oil standing around the valves.  I'd prefer to use a small funnel and hose to get it onto the piston crown.  A small piece of the fuel line used on small engines works good.  One can overcome this in part by just using more oil,  but you still have the open valve issue.

All is well again!  I now have good compression in all cylinders and she is running nicely.  

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge with me.  Could not have done it without your help and expertise.  

Jeff

• Like 3

So how did that happen so quickly?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jeff H said:

I think it has something to do with my type A personality and I just couldn't stop until it was fixed!  All thanks to the knowledge and cooperation of you guys!  

Thanks again !

i believe what bob is asking is “what solved the no-start issue”?  was it oil added through the plug holes?  something else?  give us some data.

• Like 1