Fuel doesn't fill filter bowl and hard starting

Gents,

I've looked at a few old posts about similar issues but not sure if it's the same, since I've tried some of the solutions.

I just replaced a very rusty, leaky fuel tank, fuel lines (which were solder-patched in several places) and rebuilt the carburetor (got trashed from rust silt) on my B3C. It is tight and no leaks (that I can see or smell). When cold, the truck will start right up but takes some pumping of the pedal (mashing the gas pedal, here in Georgia) to keep it running for 20 seconds or so, then it will idle perfectly and run smoothly - closing the choke does not help. When I shut her down she will start right back up unless I let her sit for 1/2 - 2 hours, then she's incredibly hard to start. After 2 hours she will start up no problem.

I've noticed that the fuel filter bowl never fills up but the filter bowl on the fuel pump stays full. So, I'm wondering if the fuel pump is bad (it's a pump I got from Roberts 5 years ago) or has trash inside of it? I cleaned the filter screen on the pump and replaced the filter on the secondary (both were silted up), after I replaced the fuel line. It seems that the pump would just fail or leak instead of decreasing output. Also, doesn't seem like vapor lock or boiling of the fuel, because what's making it start cold seems to be the fuel left in the carburetor bowl. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Roland

Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia

Have you verified that the choke actually closes when you pull the cable? If all is good it should take a pump or 2 of the throttle pedal, pull the choke, and crank. It should fire right up. Then open the choke partially until it warms up a bit, then open fully. If you need to pump the pedal a lot, and continue after start up, that would indicate a lean condition. Adjusting the idle mixture screw may help some, or just check that the choke is working properly. My truck tends to run a little rich and I rarely need to use the choke, but it will stumble a bit if I try to drive too soon after a cold start. 

As for the restart after a brief stop, it could be a percolation flooding issue. Try holding the throttle open while cranking to see if it starts better. 

• Like 1