Transmission part identification

Mark D

Spent the weekend breaking down the OD I bought from Paul Flaming a couple years back, refreshing bearing and gaskets. This is the second R10G that I’ve done and I’m hoping one of you might recognize the part in the accompanying photo. (Reminiscing on the cheering and advice I had from Don Coatney as I made progress). The part appears to be a brass spring bushing, and two or the spring tabs seem to be broken off. I can’t find this part in either of the R10G or standard trans parts diagrams that I have. It came from inside the front of the synchronize after I had removed the input shaft. 

Next step is to send a picture to George Asche to see if he might know, or have a spare.

5BFAA9F1-6735-4A66-93CB-DCC33CF7BCAC.jpeg

2nd to 3rd syncro ring spreader spring.

Fits into the front of the clutch gear recess and the three tabs push on the syncro ring.

Not all the transmissions had this piece.

I think there was a service bulletin about it to improve shifting. 

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The part number is 1115576. dpmotorparts has one for $30. One in stock. While perusing ebay for parts in the past, I found an extra one for $15. I thought it was a fluid drive part, but it shows in my Service Manual for my P15 on page 204, and a 39 P8 has a spreader spring in the break-down. I'd like to read the service bulletin, if you find it. 1064745 will get you a rebuild package at dp , for another $50.

• Thanks 1

Quick update and thanks to the folks that responded.  After sending a letter off to George Asche last week with some photos of the part I was after, he called me and we had a nice half hour conversation about the part in question.  George explained that this spring is really rare now and he confirmed that the were introduced the later years of the OD production line.  George also gave me some advice about the reassembly and some knowledge I did not have about "fast second gears".  We talked some more about my convertible and my plans for installing dual intake and exhaust.  Long story short, I'll be making the 7-1/2 hour drive soon to speak with him some more and to bring the transmission to get some Asche magic done to it.  Will also drop off the carter carbs I've collected for him to build me a matched set.  Looking forward to my first visit with George after several years of telephone conversations.