46-48 Plymouth Tail Light Reflectors

hi_volt

46 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

what are you calling a reflector.....these are open to the tail light through a hole in the body metal......the lamp attaches to this snap in bracket....I would GUESS here that if you have any reflector it was installed after by a PO.

probably the little quarter sized reflector in the chrome housing. 

man did I blow that one.....was not in any manner thinking this Stimsonite lens...

As you can rarely find these offered and some GM early 40's glass will retrofit with a bit of intervention and pressing a quarter with a tad of epoxy to hold them in place.....let it be said that  multitude of folks will use instead the small bubble style top hat reflector commonly used to hold license plates to their respected frame.  I have seen them removed, cleaned and polished to some degree, hit with red lens dye from Testors and reinstalled...again a quarter works good.  I hope in some matter this helps and I have redeemed myself....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Didn't Don C. post that he used bicycle reflectors in his Plymouth?

Cheap from the bike shop.

DJ

30 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Didn't Don C. post that he used bicycle reflectors in his Plymouth?

Cheap from the bike shop.

DJ

bicycle mud flap reflector and the reflectors I mentioned as used to bolt on the license plate are the same as I see them advertised/sold....

License Plate Red Reflector Bolts - Useful on cars, bikes, lawn tractors

I've seen people replace the missing reflectors with Blue Dots if you aren't concerned with keeping it original, I kinda like how they look. As mentioned you can find them on Ebay sometimes but very expensive. I think the replacement LED lights and housings from Technostalgia might be an option. I have them on my 47 Plymouth. Part #6046  

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have seen them removed, cleaned and polished to some degree, hit with red lens dye from Testors and reinstalled...again a quarter works good.

I like that idea.  I'll need to look more closely at mine to see if they are just faded or if the plastic is rotten.  Mine are practically white from sitting in the Arizona sun for 10 years.  If the plastic is OK, that's probably the best solution.

Edited by hi_volt

I can say these work.  I bought some of these exact pieces, popped the red plastic reflector out of the metal housing and it fit perfectly in my 1950 Plymouth tail light bezels...  I did not glue them in yet since they need a good polish before I do, but they fit perfect and looked amazing in that application.

Ed

image.png.20022116535a35a2d079933f7ca340ac.png

5 hours ago, hi_volt said:

I like that idea.  I'll need to look more closely at mine to see if they are just faded or if the plastic is rotten.  Mine are practically white from sitting in the Arizona sun for 10 years.  If the plastic is OK, that's probably the best solution.

Just to note, 46 came with white reflectors and 47-48 came with the red reflectors.

• Thanks 1

Yes.  I was getting ready to mention the white reflectors.  I bought some 6v led tail lights from Todd at Technostalgia.  They are totally a plastic material and look very authentic.  However they are usually 12 volt.  For a while they made a 6 volt version, but discontinued them due to lack of sales.  If you need 6v you might call and talk to Todd.  They also make a 12v trunk lid brake light.

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Thanks 1

I found these little LED lights. I haven't used on a car yet but I'm going to wire them as back up lights. even if they're not bright enough to see where I'm going, they can serve as a warning to others HERE I COME!!!!

008.JPG

Edited by scotty t
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 8:31 AM, edrendek7777 said:

I can say these work.  I bought some of these exact pieces, popped the red plastic reflector out of the metal housing and it fit perfectly in my 1950 Plymouth tail light bezels...  I did not glue them in yet since they need a good polish before I do, but they fit perfect and looked amazing in that application.

Ed

image.png.20022116535a35a2d079933f7ca340ac.png

Thanks guys.  I ended up buying a bunch of these on the Bay and they look like they'll fit well.