1951 B3B electronic ignition conversion. Any recomondations on brand and type?

Bluesmann9

Hello guys and gals,

I intend to convert my 1951 B3B Dodge 1/2 ton to an electronic ignition and would appreciate anyone sharing their experience with this conversion. I am not having any luck finding a kit that is a clear match to the flathead six. I should also add that the conversion includes going to a 12 volt system.

Thanks in advance, Terry.

Edited by Terrence

I'v used the Allison/Crane Cams optical kit for decades. Never had a problem and you don't destroy your original ignition. It can easily be converted back to stock in the future if ever desired. Only issue is they no longer make a 6 v Pos ground version. But if your going 12 volt highly recommend. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the slant 6 conversion. What I have read it is fairly simple to swap the shaft from your original dist, with the slant 6 body.

Now you have OEM reliability, off the shelf replacement parts from any local parts store.

If I was going 12 volt I would do this swap myself.

OK, thanks a bunch for the feed back everyone.

My internet search of the three options doesn't appear to indicate a clear choice, specific to the 1951 Dodge L6 engine with a 12 volt conversion. 

I'm not a real confident mechanic (really, that's what brought me here in the first place), so I am thinking I will make a few phone calls to the various manufacturers, based on the good feedback I have received from you folks. Then I will go forward from there with a lot of input from the auto mechanic (40 years experience) doing the work on my truck

At the end of the day, I can always stick with the original ignition configuration. Nothing wrong with that.

The assistance you guys have offered is very much appreciated. You fellows are great! 

Thank you, Terry.

I believe there have been threads here, including pictures of the slant 6 distributor conversions. You'd have to use the search function to find them.

I have Pertronix in my truck and it's been working fine for a few years now. Mine is still 6v, but they also offer 12v versions. You will need your distributor numbers to be sure you get the right kit. You can't just order by vehicle make and year. My kit required a minor modification to the breaker plate, so I found another distributor on ebay, with the same ID numbers. It was in good condition so I modified that one and used it in my truck with the Pertronix kit. I still have the original if I ever wish to go back to points, or need a back-up.

I would also recommend replacing your plug wires with new suppression core wires when upgrading to electronic ignition. Simple solid core wires can cause issues with the electronics.

Here is the one I did for my 47 I'm building. Truck is still being built so I can't say how well it drives. However it seems like the most basic conversion and the one with the most likely hood of finding a replacement part should something break down on the road.  The conversion requires swapping over the flathead distributor shaft to the /6 distributor. While the /6 dist is apart I had to sand the housing until it fit into the flathead block. I put a bolt into it and chucked it up in my cordless drill for a redneck drillpress/lathe. 

IMG_20160327_1013421.jpg

Since you will be going to 12v there are a number of options available including Pertronix, Mopar, GM HEI, 

Langdons Mini-HEI, and Ford TFI. Non of them are plug and play except for Langdons Mini-HEI. Pertronix requires modifications to the distributor. The Mopar and GM HEI require modifying an electronic ignition slant six distributor with some parts from a flathead distributor. The Ford TFI can be triggered from the flathead points distributor. If going with the Ford TFI, be sure to get a later model remote mounted module (1992 F150 4.9L are good donors). The first generation distributor mounted TFI modules had reliability issues and were subject of a class action lawsuit, but the remote mounted units seem to be quite reliable. 

With any electronic ignition conversion be sure to use resistor plug wires and plugs. I would also use the matching coil with any of these conversions.

The OEM based conversions are reliable and parts availability is good. If you use an OEM based conversion, Mopar, GM-HEI and Ford-TFI modules are available at any parts store in the US. You may have some trouble finding a Pertronix module on a Saturday road trip.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mopar-flathead-6-distributor-upgrade-48-desoto.653565/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tfi-using-points-how-to.374699/

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/#!/Stovebolt-Mopar-Mini-HEI/p/1222043/category=18665979

I hope you find this useful.

Good luck with your project,

Scott.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Ain't nothing at all wrong with my Pertronix conversion. I have been running the 6V positive ground unit in my truck for going on 5 years. It is a daily driver that lives outdoors so it has been more than adequately proven. Extremely simple and reliable.......

Jeff

The Pertronix for 6V positive ground has been fine for me as well.  Simple to install and dead reliable so far.  After installation I just ran the timing up to max vacuum at idle, backed off a little and locked it down.  Starts and runs really smooth.  It's not a deal breaker or anything but I do like that it retains a stock appearance as opposed to using a different distributor.

In the "old days" I wouldn't be too worried about just keeping the points ignition for a low RPM flattie but it sure seems like any of them you buy now are substandard quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1