6V Headlight Terminals

Jocko_51_B3B

I have 6V Wagner H6006 headlights for my B3B. Is this the standard terminal arrangement for this type of headlight? 

First off, these markings are wrong! Here's how it should be...

LO at the top.

GND to the left.

HI to the right.

20200224_160348_resized.jpg.58ae4f1327d2ac63e219aa33fef61743.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

common as houseflies......many swap meets have vendors dedicated to pigtails and other wiring products...the wires on their replacement head light plugs are ample for 6 volts...on the average, their relay pigtails are also over kill on gauge...suitable for 6 volt headlight application.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Very Much. I figured this terminal arrangement was standard, but I searched all over the internet and called several vendors who sell this exact headlight and couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone. You answered in about two minutes flat!

many retailer today are busy with the here and now and the here and now is composite style lighting where the lamp take the contours of the body of the car.  Now add to this the very trend to ILLEGIALLY upgrade these composites to HID/LED where the housing is not internally cast to pre-focus this style lamp.  The current style lamps are a different style pin out.  The plugs you need will be for about any of the glass round and or rectangular 2 and 4 bulb systems before composites were made.  The difference will be in some cases the very gauge of the wire in the pigtail...but.....not all is lost there either as the very terminal in these pigtails easily unclip and you care carefully change the wiring size as needed.  These plug fit most all H4 series also.  

30 minutes ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

I have 6V Wagner H6006 headlights for my B3B. Is this the standard terminal arrangement for this type of headlight? 

20200224_160348_resized.jpg.58ae4f1327d2ac63e219aa33fef61743.jpg

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember the three connections on my 51 were all flat blade connectors as were all the other bulbs of I've seen in American vehicles of the 40s through the 80s.  This bulb seems to have one flat and two round studs.  

Am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, bkahler said:

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember the three connections on my 51 were all flat blade connectors as were all the other bulbs of I've seen in American vehicles of the 40s through the 80s.  This bulb seems to have one flat and two round studs.  

Am I missing something?

Look closer, the terminals are there. 
i have never seen the three connections as marked, i would think the configuration is different. 
the centre pin, marked as ground i believe is high beam. 
set up the way its marked, goes dim and dimmer. It puts the 2 filaments in series. 
best way to check is with an ohmmeter. You will find two circuits with close resistance and one almost double. The double is the two filaments in series, incorrect. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tooljunkie said:

Look closer, the terminals are there. 
i have never seen the three connections as marked, i would think the configuration is different. 
the centre pin, marked as ground i believe is high beam. 
set up the way its marked, goes dim and dimmer. It puts the 2 filaments in series. 
best way to check is with an ohmmeter. You will find two circuits with close resistance and one almost double. The double is the two filaments in series, incorrect. 

Ok, got it!  These old eyes don't see things so well anymore!  

My focus just zeroed in on those round tips and that's all I saw :)

Thanks!

I originally tried measuring resistances between the terminals with a Fluke and got 0.2, 0.2, and 0.3 Ohms, but the readings were jittery so I didn't really trust the numbers. The 0.3 was probably both filaments in series, but the 0.2 and 0.2 didn't help me tell the difference between HI and LO. Then I called Wagner who makes the H6006 headlight and they gave me the terminal designations as I marked them in my photo. But I like to crosscheck things so I started this thread anyway rather than take Wagner's word without question. Sure enough, Plymouthy got back in about two minutes to verify Wagner. Now I feel better. Here's perhaps a better photo which makes the terminals clearer:

Again, these markings are wrong! Here's how it should be...

LO at the top.

GND to the left.

HI to the right.

20200224_160419_resized.jpg.a2088274b2d2198a77615841186be69d.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

15 minutes ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

I originally tried measuring resistances between the terminals with a Fluke and got 0.2, 0.2, and 0.3 Ohms, but the readings were jittery so I didn't really trust the numbers. The 0.3 was probably both filaments in series, but the 0.2 and 0.2 didn't help me tell the difference between HI and LO. Then I called Wagner who makes the H6006 headlight and they gave me the terminal designations as I marked them in my photo. But I like to crosscheck things so I started this thread anyway rather than take Wagner's word without question. Sure enough, Plymouth got back in about two minutes to verify Wagner. Now I feel better. Here's perhaps a better photo which makes the terminals clearer:

20200224_160419_resized.jpg.a2088274b2d2198a77615841186be69d.jpg

Well whaddya know......there really are three flat blade terminals! ?

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

in his picture, he clearly has ground, high and low marked on the bulb identifying each blade....

Many people, including the mfr tech on the phone will assume middle terminal is ground/ earth/neutral. That is not industry standard. 
if the high beam indicator illuminates, on both high and low,then bulbs are wired incorrectly. Causing a backfeed. 

I'll take your word on it.....thank you....I have never had much of a reaction to b-stings.   then late one evening I ran over a yellow jacket nest with the mower....when I turned I ran straight into the swarm...I gave them a running John Deere yard tractor and they hit me 43 times for the gesture......I monitored my BP and pulse quite close and popped a couple Benadryl for good measure...sipped a coffee as a I watched to see where the were entering the ground....at fall of dark, Dr. Death paid them a visit in the form of gasoline and a torch...I get nervous now around sting bees/wasps....this was the type incident that pushed my grandmother to an Epi-pen lifestyle.. the nest was a pie plate size a few inches into the dirt, digging it up I then found a second pie plate nest a few inches below the first...a modern duplex if you will...

Tooljunkie,

I think you are right. I went to this site:

https://wiringforums.com/3-prong-headlight-wiring-diagram/

and found this diagram which matches your photo.

1837794697_HeadlightTerminals.jpg.d2db608bb35f1ac878abc6e3f0ee3052.jpg

But I like to make sense out of things myself so I tried this; I measured the current through the three pin combinations using a DMM. My battery is at 6.21 Volts. I got the following current readings between the pins, 4.46A, 5.47A, and 7.15A. The lowest current must be flowing through BOTH filaments. The next highest must be flowing through the LO beam to ground. The highest current must be the flowing through the HI beam to ground. Here's what I got:

20200225_141806_resized.jpg.a2e3e2a9eb4d05bfb10cb56c2020ba50.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B