Clutch Upgrade?

59bisquik

As most of you know, I swapped in a 325 a while back. I used the 230 clutch and plate. Bolted right up to the hemi flywheel and used the stock 3 speed transmission. Long story short, under heavy throttle it slips at the top of 2nd and in 3rd. All I seem to find when looking for pressure plates is stock replacements and they dont specify L6 or V8, just 10" etc. Anybody have a recommendation for a heavier clutch or service that will upgrade it? Mine is tiptoe light on the pedal and just isnt cutting it. I am about to throw in my R10 and if its slipping now, it's really gonna slip with overdrive.

Easiest solution would be to have a rebuilder install high pressure springs and a high friction lining.  But ,  that comes a cost.  I had a Pontiac with a really HD setup.  Couldn't set a long red light with the clutch down!  Heavy as heck on the pedal, but didn't slip.

There are also 11" clutches/flywheels.  I think I have one left from my project,

Edited by kencombs

On 2/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, 59bisquik said:

Are the 11" the same flywheel tooth count or is it something different? I dont want one that was as heavy as your Pontiac, but this is way too light.

I just checked my old Hollander.  It appears that all flywheels from that era have the same tooth count.  Lots of interchangeability, 6 to 8, truck to car, 10 and 11 inch.  Some flywheels are drilled for multiple sizes also.  Have you checked yours for another set of mounting holes?

Just now, 59bisquik said:

I believe there are two sets of holes in the flywheel if memory serves. I really need to get it up on stands and yank the clutch back out. 

If so, swapping in a new 11" set would be an easy fix. And, you don't have to remove those darned flywheel/crank bolts!

• Haha 1

Capitol Clutch and Brake in Sacramento can rebuild your pressure plate.  They are reputable and prices are not unreasonable.  I sent them mine recently for a rebuild and while talking with them we discussed the spring situation.  They told me that the standard  truck PP has half as many springs as one intended for a forklift.  The information was that they could sell a new forklift PP that would fit or simply add the springs into a rebuilt unit if required.  He did think it would be pretty stout with all the springs installed.  Mine was returned to stock so I can't speak to that but I trust this shop to know what they are talking about.

I have to assume there is a similar shop somewhere in the LA basin but I don't have any first hand experience with one.

FYI, I took a look at the two flywheels I have.  The one for an 11in clutch only has that one hole pattern.  My old Hollander shows one flywheel in several years for either a 9 1/2" or 10".  So,  I'd guess that is your second hole set, for the smaller clutch used on some car applications. The one I have installed on the engine has two hole patterns.  I'm using a 10" PP from a 56 Plymouth and disk with a 23 spline hub to match my a833.    I'd consider selling the 11in, but shipping would probably be a killer.

Edited by kencombs

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

I found a local place who will rebuild and upgrade. I might pull it this weekend and can measure it. Thanks for the help!

The only reasonably close clutch and brake place closed a year or so ago.  Sure was nice to be able to get that kind of stuff done, or go in and compare parts 'til I found what fits.  The latter is important when mixing and matching like we often do. 

If they were still around, I would get my 11 PP rebuilt and source a 23spline, 11" disk.  Since they are not an option, I'll just go with the 10 and new disk.  230 probably won't overload it, even the raised compression and 2 barrel/duals.

It is a 10" clutch. Looks ok, but I dropped it off and will see what they say. 

Should I stick the old 3 speed back in or pull the trigger and drop in the R10? Just need to shorten a driveshaft and the clutch place can do that too.

R10 is the next best thing to an R11!  I would do it.  Love overdrives.  One thing some overlook is the ability to downshift into the unsynced low while rolling when the OD is engaged but under governor cut-in speed.  That and setting up so you can use OD second makes traffic driving so much nicer.

I don't think you'll have any issues with the R10/hemi combo as long as you don't beat on it badly.

• Like 1

Pulled the shift cover plate off the side and found the reverse/first sliding gear damaged. I will try to put two of my trannys together to make one good one. We will see if I have enough time before the Vegas show. If not the 3 speed will go back in for now.

Edited by 59bisquik

The shop said it needs completely rebuilt and is worn out. They are gonna rebuild it and get me new disc by the end of the week.

A new first/reverse gear is on it's way and I hope I can figure out how to reassemble my tranny. Pulling the bottom cluster out and having needle bearings go everywhere has me a bit concerned.

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

The shop said it needs completely rebuilt and is worn out. They are gonna rebuild it and get me new disc by the end of the week.

A new first/reverse gear is on it's way and I hope I can figure out how to reassemble my tranny. Pulling the bottom cluster out and having needle bearings go everywhere has me a bit concerned.

If you have an extra cluster shaft, the best tool for that is said shaft cut to length of the cluster + it's thrust washers.  install the bearings, slide the cutdown shaft in place.  Then drop the assembly into the case.  when ready to do the cluster install, align the holes in the cluster and case, then use the real shaft to drive your homemade tool out.  If no extra shaft is available, in a pinch one can use a wooden dowel.

Edit to add:  You can also use the dummy shaft to remove the cluster to prevent dropping the needles.  Still have to remove them to clean, lube and inspect, but at least they won't roll under the work bench when you take the gear out!

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

Great price and a two day turnaround. Hopefully I can get the tranny parts back together and the clutch installed quickly.

Resized_20200304_163702.jpeg

Please post the the info for the clutch shop for the rest of us Californians.

Got it in today. It's a little heavier than it was before but not really stiff. I had them rebuild it to stock since they said it was so worn. Once I get the tranny back together I will see if its slipping. If so. I will have them put in the extra heavy springs.

• Thanks 1