Ebay Fun

James_Douglas

I see that someone has a 265 Crankshaft on eBay. I wrote the seller and asked if the unit had be fluxed and turned. He said no, it is just a core. The starting bid is $375 with a couple of hundred in shipping if you are far away.  No rods, which of course you have to have. I often wonder who would buy something like that for such a price without knowing if the unit was good. A core for $200 delivered perhaps and take the risk...but more than that?

I have noticed that people are starting to think that everything is worth so much money. Heck, I picked up a 265 complete from a combine for that price in California. The guy I purchased it from saw it running before he took it out.  Makes me wonder.

James

52 minutes ago, James_Douglas said:

I see that someone has a 265 Crankshaft on eBay. I wrote the seller and asked if the unit had be fluxed and turned. He said no, it is just a core. The starting bid is $375 with a couple of hundred in shipping if you are far away.  No rods, which of course you have to have. I often wonder who would buy something like that for such a price without knowing if the unit was good. A core for $200 delivered perhaps and take the risk...but more than that?

I have noticed that people are starting to think that everything is worth so much money. Heck, I picked up a 265 complete from a combine for that price in California. The guy I purchased it from saw it running before he took it out.  Makes me wonder.

James

Im a bargain hunter.  Picked up a clean running 265 for $100.  I ended up rebuilding it and added speed goodies and in the hole about $7k 

Its whatever people are willing to pay for it.  There are many people here in So Cal custom car scene that would rather pay a high dollar price for parts rather than spending valuable time and effort searching for parts. Im always stuck in between. I can afford expensive parts and the convenience but find the hobbie fun to research, analyze, and find great deals.

To each their own and I dont criticize anyones choice.

Edited by 40desoto

eBay is kind of funny. Most of the sellers have a store online, but to make back the eBay fees they jackup the prices.

So I shopping on eBay then go looking elsewhere for what I need. There are really no bargains on eBay.

I learned from my 265 crank experience that automotive machine shops have a better pipeline than eBay.

Go to your favorite machine shop and ask can they get you a crank and rods? You'd be surprised at what they can find.

Before you click buy check to see what they sell the same item for on their website.

Speedway Motors, Summit Racing et al, all sell on eBay and have considerably lower prices on their website, with discounts.

IMO, it isn't a core if it hasn't been fluxed and passed.  Otherwise you are buying scrap.  At least that's how I look at it and that's how I figure what I'll pay for it.  Price of scrap now days isn't worth the shipping costs let alone any more.

I picked up the 265 that's in my car now for about 200 bucks 6 or 7 years ago. It was still in it's wooden crate from the factory. He had a 2nd one that I probably should have bought but they are heavy and space at my house is tight. The guy's place was great. An average house on an acre of land on the edge of an affluent neighborhood in northern New Jersey.{Bergen County} It looked like a military junkyard with sheds filled with stuff. 

• Like 1

I shake my head at people who think there are tons of buyers out there looking for used flathead era Mopar parts. Used Blocks. Trannys. Diffs. Whatever, with unknown history. I buy it at a little more than scrap prices. That’s all it’s worth until proven otherwise. 

There’s a guy about a 7 hour drive from me with a “field find” 1938 Plymouth. He’s been trying to sell it  for quite some time. I’m interested, but not at his price. I made him an offer. We’re too far apart. It can rot another 50 years in that same field. He’ll eventually likely accept $75 from a scrap metal crusher guy to come pick it up. Yet he won’t accept my offer at 5x that today. I am here to tell you, in Western Canada there might be 1 guy right now actively looking to buy, paying cash, a field rotten 1938 Mopar sedan with no interior or windows. That would be me. He’s lost his opportunity to sell it. 

2 years ago same thing. A 1950 straight 8 NY’r. No windows rotting for 40 years in a field. Sunk up to the frame in mud and grass. I made an offer better than scrap. He said no. It’s still sitting there sinking deeper.  

I’d have rounded up a flat deck trailer, driven 7 hours each way. Stayed in a hotel. Winched that dead ‘38 up on the trailer. I’d have had it pollute my driveway while I parted it out. Either car would be picked to help keep other old cars on the road. Yet stubborn sellers think they have gold to sell. 

Any guesses what the market value is of a restored 1938 Plymouth 4Dr Sedan, or a 1950 4dr NY’r is? Not nearly enough. Not nearly enough. 

Edited by keithb7

I've been monkeying around with old machines since the 80s and have noticed that prices vary with the strength of the economy.  Prices were rising in the 90s, fluctuated 2000-03, were on the rise for awhile, tanked in '08, and started to take off in '13...ppl want top dollar if they can get one buyer to cough up the moolah...I opted to sell The Blue Bomber by asking top dollar to keep away the tire kickers, had a 3-way bidding war going with guys from Dallas, FtWorth and Houston, ended up getting about what I wanted for it which was double the trade-in value locally...conversely, I've been approached for years by guys who want to give me less than scrap value for trucks in the yard that are complete and with title...eBay is still riddled with crackpots so caveat emptor, ya never know how flakey ppl are until $$$ is involved  :cool:

• Like 2