230 Oil Filter Lines

Cat Whisker

I could really use some assistance concerning the 52 Dodge 230 flathead 6 engine oil pressure lines. I have read just about everything that is available concerning pumps and filters (spin-on vs factory canister, etc.) but have not been able to find anything about the size of the oil lines that run from the engine pressure galley to the top of the stock oil filter canister. The current fittings are 1/8 NPT with  small compression metal tubes to the filter and from the filter. My questions are:

1. Are these tubes made small to maintain oil pressure?

2. Can I increase the tube size using 1/8 NPT fittings and run 4AN flex lines to and from the filter?

3. Does it matter which outlet on the block the oil is taken from going to the filter?

4. How does the oil relief valve function and is it advisable to mess with the spring pressure?

Many thanks in advance and any assistance.

Edited by Cat Whisker

glad you asked  answers are  1  no  2  no reason to  3 yes    and 4  no.

to elaborate,     oil   pressure  is regulated by the pressure regulator in the block and it also controls the amount of oil that travels through the.filter .  At  idle when  pressure is  say 20 lbs ,  no  oil passes through the filter  It is a BYPASS filter   

flex lines can be a  trouble point   and not necessary because the filter  bolts to the engine.    

It is imperative that the inlet is at  the side or top of the canister and the drain is at the bottom and connected to the vertical facing block port which leads back via the relief valve   to the pan   otherwise the contents of the cartridge may be forced out and will reappear in the sump where it will be recirculated and collect in the annuli of the main bearings causing crankshaft failure       Yes, I have seen this happen     

oil   pressure in the main distribution gallery  pushes a piston against a  spring . this simultaneously  opens a return to the pan  and a circuit through the filter  (  if so equipped )

only about 15% of  the  oil travels through the  filter circuit at any given time     Chrysler engines and all modern engines have Full Flow filters     Don't confuse the two.

confused now ?   

• Like 1

Your 52 Dodge car 230 uses 3/16" steel oil lines.

The fittings both into the block and filter are 1/8" pipe.

Factory oil lines are double flared fitted to inverted flare fittings.

8 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Your 52 Dodge car 230 uses 3/16" steel oil lines.

The fittings both into the block and filter are 1/8" pipe.

Factory oil lines are double flared fitted to inverted flare fittings.

And pre-flared 3/16" brake lines you purchase at your local auto parts emporium work very nicely.  :)

If the filter is bolted to the engine then 3/16 th solid steel or copper lines are fine....if the filter is NOT bolted to the block then you must have some sort of flexible line, ie, stainless braided or rubber line between the filter and block and the oil pressure line also requires a flexible piece somewhere along its route from the block to the gauge.........I had a beehive filter with stainless braided lines.........andyd 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the reply andyd. I really like the looks of the beehive filter assembly and have ordered one. Another reason is because the factory 3/16 lines into the 1/8 NPT fittings have a very small ID and I just like the idea of having 4AN lines to and from the filter for less restriction. Thanks again. Sincerely Michele.

The flow thru the bypass filter is controlled by the bypass valve in the block.  It is NOT a full flow oil filter so the diameter of the stock feed lines are sufficient.  Too much flow thru that filter will starve the engine of pressure.  Fortunately, the oiling system incorporates a valve to regulate the bypass oil filter operation. 

• Like 1

Also the Beehive I had came with a listing for about 10 different brands of filter cartridge which I have somewhere..all US brands but I was able to get a cross reference to some Oz ones, but because the Beehive has fins the car went faster, I was unsure whether to paint red between the fins as the brakes were still stock drums...............lol.............regards, from Oz.......andyd 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Andy,

Just needed to paint the brake drums red also!

Then all those speeding tickets- - -

DJ

• Haha 1