Hello,

After driving around my 1954 plymouth with a powerflite trans for abit i noticed my hand brake dragging. so I took it apart. It turns out the previous owner never bolted the brake drum hub down to the trans output shaft!! He just put the u joints on. 

Im looking st doing a full rebuild. i found pads and springs. What aboyt the flange nuts ?? 

thanks 

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

don't overlook the fact that these transmission mounted drums extended to the 60 or there about, recall the 61 Plymouth in the family years ago had the trans drum yet......might not help but will possibly broaden your search parameters...

My 62 Chrysler Newport had the transmission mounted service brake as well, although by then it was an internal system (like a drum brake on the wheels).  Am I correct in remembering that it was still the band brake type in 53?

the earlier had external band on a drum, the later (think torqueflite) had the internal band within a drum

yup, I belive mid year 54 the went to the internal type aswell. I'm greatfull my driveshaft didnt pop off, but i definetly need to bolt it down to the trans output shaft. thanks guys

Mid year 1950 was when Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler changed from external brake band E-brake to internal brake shoes and 7" drum.

Plymouth used the external brake band up thru at least 1960 on the standard 3 speed trans.

Powerflites and later Torqflites as mentioned all used the internal shoes and 7" drum up till the early sixties I believe. 

Mid 1950 is also when Mother Mopar got rid of the 3/4" fan belt and went to the narrow more common sized fan belt...oops getting off track?!

Update: After a few months of disassembly, and decreasing there was nothing to save in the trans.  I was hopeful the ATF saved it, but it was rusted up.

I picked up a spare trans to part out. after i pull the nut ect i will post the sizes and replacement part links. 

If you're looking for powerflite parts i will have them up in a week or so

Edited by zHxIxPxPxIxEz
Update

• 1 month later...

Dont know if its appropriate here, but i havent found any literature on adjusting these bands. Im concerned about setting it too close and it not releasing properly. 
at this point im going to study it very carefully,and set it to the loose side. 

they adjusted as a normal rear brake that we all know and love today......spur gear spreader....

Three springs on my 51 fargo with external band. If i leave it loose enough to not drag, there isnt enough pull on the T-handle to set it tight enough. If i set up a little drag im concerned about burning it up. Seems to me it wont release properly.  Ignore the cylindrical part with slots,thats to extend  driveshaft to mate to my 8.25 rear end  A0296A8B-F30E-49C4-A9DE-A1DA53A46931.jpeg.28501094a4bdc1774969ec507f0bb839.jpeg

9FD25999-CD5C-4773-91A1-0424FECF6A74.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

Its much cleaner now. Didnt help at all. 

Sorry I was not more specific and my post was confusing...my adj. reply was to that of the drum style found on later model as introduced on the Powerflite 

I have never liked the external band brake....huge dirt collector that scored metal....

I added an additional spring,figured out there was a missing return spring and jigged it up. Haven’t tested it yet,but im sure its better. 
will be getting a conventional e-brake eventually,as the 8.25 rear diff has it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, Tooljunkie said:

I added an additional spring,figured out there was a missing return spring and jigged it up. Haven’t tested it yet,but im sure its better. 
will be getting a conventional e-brake eventually,as the 8.25 rear diff has it. 

How's it working now? Have you thought about doing some kind of shield for the brake? I'm going to ad one to my master cylinder after I get my front end back together. Stay healthy!

Looks like a big change coming up, i landed another truck with a floor shift 3 speed and a lever type park brake. Looks like the top cover will swap over without issue 

just have to find the time. Opened back up for business and have been playing catch up for a couple weeks. No truck time for now. 

• Like 1