steering assist/power steering

petermilo1

it is possible, couple methods, one of the quicker and easier would probably be the TRW rack found in a Cavalier...they come in manual and power....it is the same rack Chrysler used in the LHS platform but unfortunately the Chrysler set is forward of the axle in steering.  Other get a way lot more involved in fabrication but feel free to search this website....other methods may peak you interest.

• Like 1

I should have added that Fatman is one company supplying brackets, or did at one time.    The original instructions if I recall were for the same years Dodge which is a bit wider but will still work on the Plymouth...I tend to recall a slight change in the bracket angle as the frame is a tad quicker on the Plymouth where they need to be mounted.  Installation is keyed on the inside bolts of the lower control arm...get this right and you should not have any problem with bump steer.

Fatman's appears to do nothing for Mopars anymore though they do say to call or email if you can't find what you want.  Maybe they will make it, but just don't list it?

Butch's appears to be winding down as well, the pickings there are slim.  No R&P stuff I could find.

HAMB has a couple of old threads on doing it and there are a few threads here, but not enough detail to really sort it out.  One thing people seems to do is not bother listing the parts they used when doing things like this.  Like saying they used a Datsun tie rod end on the outers.  And?  That's really not useful, but giving the part number used would be. 

Hey, that's me!

I kept all the suspension stuff.  I seriously modified the steering column , and installed a GM steering box instead of the manual box.  Then I just had to find a place for the power steering pump, and figure out how to add a belt.  It's working fine, with with some subsequent modifications.

First, I added tubing at the bolts through the frame , to keep the gearbox from collapsing one or the other side of the frame rail. 

Then I found out that the box was pushing in one side of the frame while pushing out the other, inboard or outboard, depending of the direction the wheel was turned.  I added  1/4-inch plate stiffeners, inboard and outboard, to transfer the forces to the top and bottom of the frame channel. 

OK so far.    

How about a Saturn electric power steering unit. They are 12 volt though. But, I have seen some mounted on dirt buggies. 

Ron

On 2/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is possible, couple methods, one of the quicker and easier would probably be the TRW rack found in a Cavalier...they come in manual and power....it is the same rack Chrysler used in the LHS platform but unfortunately the Chrysler set is forward of the axle in steering.  Other get a way lot more involved in fabrication but feel free to search this website....other methods may peak you interest.

Sincere Thanks,

pete

17 hours ago, rvannoy1 said:

How about a Saturn electric power steering unit. They are 12 volt though. But, I have seen some mounted on dirt buggies. 

Ron

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

I looked into that, but it interfere with keeping the three on the tree, which I like.  So I passed on it.

22 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Hey, that's me!

I kept all the suspension stuff.  I seriously modified the steering column , and installed a GM steering box instead of the manual box.  Then I just had to find a place for the power steering pump, and figure out how to add a belt.  It's working fine, with with some subsequent modifications.

First, I added tubing at the bolts through the frame , to keep the gearbox from collapsing one or the other side of the frame rail. 

Then I found out that the box was pushing in one side of the frame while pushing out the other, inboard or outboard, depending of the direction the wheel was turned.  I added  1/4-inch plate stiffeners, inboard and outboard, to transfer the forces to the top and bottom of the frame channel. 

OK so far.    

22 hours ago, The Way said:

Use this link to go to Don Smiths' pdf on using a gm power steering box. He gives step by step instructions.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, YukonJack said:

The Fatman kit originally used the Datsun outer tie rod ends. It was later recommended to use Explorer outer ends. I think 2002. They were stronger and easier to get. 

On 2/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, Sniper said:

Fatman's appears to do nothing for Mopars anymore though they do say to call or email if you can't find what you want.  Maybe they will make it, but just don't list it?

Butch's appears to be winding down as well, the pickings there are slim.  No R&P stuff I could find.

HAMB has a couple of old threads on doing it and there are a few threads here, but not enough detail to really sort it out.  One thing people seems to do is not bother listing the parts they used when doing things like this.  Like saying they used a Datsun tie rod end on the outers.  And?  That's really not useful, but giving the part number used would be. 

On 2/8/2020 at 10:25 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I should have added that Fatman is one company supplying brackets, or did at one time.    The original instructions if I recall were for the same years Dodge which is a bit wider but will still work on the Plymouth...I tend to recall a slight change in the bracket angle as the frame is a tad quicker on the Plymouth where they need to be mounted.  Installation is keyed on the inside bolts of the lower control arm...get this right and you should not have any problem with bump steer.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Thanks to all for suggestions on power assist/power steering. At age 79 I restored a 1948 military staff car. Won many awards. Am now pushing 82. Had a pacemaker put in.

Cannot strain left arm. A placed "lead" could dislodge. Reason for PS. I plan on bringing the car to a rebuild shop and showing them the PDF I downloaded on power steering

1947 DeSoto along with the other suggestions. Again, Sincere thanks to all-

P.S.

I modified the steering column, below the shifting area.  I kept the steering wheel and shifting mechanism intact.  I added a brush contact in the column jacket, to keep the horn ring functioning.  

Good luck, petermilo1,  we're all counting on you. 

I do really like what Don did. I may or may not end up doing something very close. I am also looking into the electric assist.

The size of the Desoto Suburban requires a fairly large electric motor. Most of the usual suspects are just too small. I did find a company that has a motor that is fairly heavy duty.

They are EPAS Performance. I have talked with them and although they strongly recommend that the motor be placed under the dash, it can be placed in the engine compartment in something like a MOPAR with a flathead. In my case there is more than enough room between the firewall and the steering box to place it there. They also can sell their 60 AMP unit with a build in fan for the motor. Since the manifolds are all on the passenger side, I am not worried about the heat.

In the case of the Suburban Sedan, it uses a much larger steering box than the rest of the cars and the ratio is also better so any strain on the electric motor will not be as great. Since I will be converting the car to 12volts and using a 100 to 200 AMP alternator, power will not be an issue.

James.