B-Series Trucks Represented in Auto Museums....

48Dodger

I've been looking for sometime for a B Series truck in any California Auto Museum and haven't seen one yet.

I know I've seen a picture of one every now and again, I believe its dark green, in some museum somewhere online.

But I've decided to build a factory correct 1950 Dodge Pilot-House to either loan or donate to the museum in Sacramento.

As many of you know I have several parts trucks and lots of friends to guide me through "Factory Correctness".

Yes I'm taking about you guys. So I plan to begin this project at the 13th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ.

I'll roll the truck I have in mind for the build out, and put its "ugly iron arse" on display so we can all wish the B2B good luck.    

My love of racing has influenced my builds for many, many years. My love of history is just as long. My admiration for friends who

build these trucks as close to original specs is on full display at the BBQ I throw every year. I will do my best.

I look forward to a good outcome and see this as a gesture of love of all things Mopar and more specifically 1948-53 Dodge Trucks.

Tim aka 48Dodger

California Automobile Museum

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2020 at 7:01 AM, 48Dodger said:

I've been looking for sometime for a B Series truck in any California Auto Museum and haven't seen one yet.

I know I've seen a picture of one every now and again, I believe its dark green, in some museum somewhere online.

But I've decided to build a factory correct 1950 Dodge Pilot-House to either loan or donate to the museum in Sacramento.

As many of you know I have several parts trucks and lots of friends to guide me through "Factory Correctness".

Yes I'm taking about you guys. So I plan to begin this project at the 13th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ.

I'll roll the truck I have in mind for the build out, and put its "ugly iron arse" on display so we can all wish the B2B good luck.    

My love of racing has influenced my builds for many, many years. My love of history is just as long. My admiration for friends who

build these trucks as close to original specs is on full display at the BBQ I throw every year. I will do my best.

I look forward to a good outcome and see this as a gesture of love of all things Mopar and more specifically 1948-53 Dodge Trucks.

Tim aka 48Dodger

California Automobile Museum

Big T

This is a noble endeavor. I would enjoy helping in any way.

You could also look at the California Agricultural Museum in Woodland. I bet they would love to display a truck like that. Looking forward to the BBQ!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words Tom.

I always look forward to having a reason to hang out and work on a truck with my friends, in any capacity...lol.

I've been working hard at the computer trying to find any independent museum that might be stowing a Pilot House in the wings, but nothing so far.

I did find this article about Dodges in a museum close to Brent in Oregon.       

Pacific Northwest Truck Museum

48D

• Like 2

These are the candidates for the build. Lots of parts, and lots of frames.

I believe the redish - whiteish 1950 is the best one. 

What y'all think.

48D

IMG_20200209_131550025.jpg

IMG_20200209_131619754.jpg

IMG_20200209_131652105_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131428317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131443753_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131450970_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131406054_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131539049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131743114_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200209_131340834.jpg

• Like 1

Can I suggest the panel truck??

Imagine the rarest?

DJ

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

These are the candidates for the build. Lots of parts, and lots of frames.

I believe the redish - whiteish 1950 is the best one. 

What y'all think.

48D

IMG_20200209_131406054_HDR.jpg

But it has a dent in the fender!!  ?

Seriously though, nice choice.  Other than surface rust most of your trucks seem to be rust free.  

Brad

I vote for the low side myself, but I get what you're sayin'. ?

Anyone who wants to help in any way is welcome to jump in.

I'll keep posting what happens to it here. 

I'm planning on calling the museum Monday to get a feel how this sort of thing works.

48D 

Edited by 48Dodger

29 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

I vote for the low side myself, but I get what you're sayin'. ?

Anyone who wants to help in any way is welcome to jump in.

I'll keep posting what happens to it here. 

I'm planning on calling the museum Monday to get a feel how this sort of thing works.

48D 

i'll take that 53 to get it out of your way....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

i'll take that 53 to get it out of your way....

LOL, To “take it” Ed, you’d have to go to CA to get it ? (just funnin ya Ed)

21 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I did find this article about Dodges in a museum close to Brent in Oregon.       

Pacific Northwest Truck Museum

48D

LOL, One of our forum members stored his truck at the grounds of this museum.... I went there to help him get his truck home last year.... so, I guess you could say, the only pilot house in the museum..... I ended up taking! ?

CE9563D2-73AF-4BD9-A9F4-78CC0A973DB8.jpeg.2ac5856095787af4e205cf6c8c034daa.jpeg

• Haha 3

Hey Roland,

I'm not a parts store but I do my best to help when I can. Members of this forum are kind enough to donate parts to help with the cost of the BBQ I put on every year.

But mostly I can't stand seeing an old Dodge truck rotting under a tree, forgotten, and mistreated, so I figure out how to buy it. My ranch can sometimes seem to an untrained eye as a island for misfit trucks. That's fine by me. I do restore muscle cars and trucks on occasion to make some money, mostly mopar, but off brands are welcome too. So i'll be doing my own welding and painting etc.

The offer of parts is always welcome, because I just don't know whose hands they'll end up going into come BBQ time. And that usually leads to a newly finished truck for some future show! 

But having said all that, lord knows there'll be something I don't have and will appreciate the help.

48D     

• Thanks 1

If you’re doing a truck rather than the panel, I’d recommend a five window even if it’s starting condition is not quite as good. Those corner window are just a defining characteristic IMHO.

1 hour ago, BobB said:

If you’re doing a truck rather than the panel, I’d recommend a five window even if it’s starting condition is not quite as good. Those corner window are just a defining characteristic IMHO.

I agree. 5 window it is.

48D

Hi Guys 

My 1949 pilot house has a knock in the motor , i think the motor is the original, but as i dont have a build card i cannot be sure.

as it had a full restoration only 7 years ago , and only 65k on the clock the  news of that she had already been bored out to +60 means i will need to resleve her.

was wondering if i should bite the bullet and pay the extra 1k to do this here in the UK , or look for a rebuilt motor in the US of A.

If i can find out if the  motor is matching , do you think it is the best and honorable thing to do to restore it no matter the cost.

Craig Rutter 

Hey Craig,

I'll get the moderator to move your question to the regular forum. You'll get a much better response. :)

48D

• Thanks 1

I looked through the green 50's cab....all looks good.

So I'll use the 5 window cab from it and the front end of the  redish whiteish  50.

I'm planning on using the frame from the the redish white as well.

48D