1950 P-19 Plymouth Fastback UK

Kit

On 12/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, Kit said:

Rear Leaf spring issues

The new rear leaf springs we can’t figure out whats going on here, any thoughts.

Dampers aren’t restricting, shackles are moving, spring arch distance is the same as old ones, supplier is certain they are tempered (American made). As you can see they are not looking very good as soon as you put weight on. (Will prob re-mount lower damper, how do others do that, just weld a pin?)

15BF728B-9584-432F-8156-779A9C1DC597.jpeg

1BF71001-6A01-49CF-A6A7-4FF80C7CB9C7.jpeg

CF73E525-E21A-4297-A754-31906374945E.jpeg

I wonder if your shock is bottomed out?  You moved the axle assembly up by, what 3 inches?  If the shocks are bottomed out then the weight of the vehicle is pushing down on the spring eyes causing the reverse bend you are seeing.

Hmm good point, not thought of that... they are tired & going to be replaced so you could be right?

yeah about 3 inches Id say & dampers from original top mount to under the spring plate.

Truth is once I get some £$ in the bank I'll be damper hunting (had a really really nasty motorcycle accident in April, the guy who drove into us broke many many things & havn't been able to work, that's another goal to work towards...so far I've got the staying alive thing done, the learning to walk again thing OK & from loads of other goals achieved we're now 1month 2wks doing the gym thing as determined to get back to fitness, work & getting to a point of getting through the '23 season..    

B519715A-301F-41F5-A4A9-44C6F98C9467.jpeg

Edited by Kit

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 6:02 AM, Kit said:

Sharing a little update for you guys, so here we go. Old springs put back on with "2 blocks (think she looks alot better) bottoms out if we take the local speed humps a bit too fast & will have to deflate the tyre if I ever have to take it off.

The new springs that looked f***ed we think weren't tempered even though they say they were, the supplier said they were fine a couple of times, saying they are suppose to be that way, but as you guys..we just weren't convinced (even the guys at Eaton Springs kindly looked at the pics & said the same thing we were all thinking) they refunded me $600 which was good of them, glad as things are really dear to ship here to the UK, think it was $350 alone in shipping these rear leafs..

We also relocated the rear bottom damper location by making some plates up so they actually do damping, the high location / orginal prob wastes 60%+ as they are at such an angle.

HEI from Tom Langdon isn't fitted yet, no new Kingpins, not put any of the front moving parts on from Kantar or the Moog Aerostars but we did fix the passenger door so it doesn't rattle which was driving me nuts & the Drivers door handle mech was taken apart, worn parts welded, discovering that the two replacement door springs @ $40 from 'dodgeybay' fitted but all the tangs were wrong.

Went out for a short drive today, cleaned the whites & jet washed the rest, man I love driving this car. Anyone any info on the Body number?  And Yup that is gaffer tape holding the fender trim on, not yet fixed that yet of course, trying to get the original trim clips seems to be an expensive task & hard to find so I'll prob JB weld nuts & bolts unless anyone out there has some spares they could help with..Thanks 

A4AB2D17-47E6-4F25-A881-90F02C0A5AD8_1_201_a.jpeg

Hello Im following your progress on the Plymouth, sorry to hear about your bike wreck. I ride as well and am always looking for the driver that isnt!! My question is I see that you are going to use Moog Aerostar coils for the front? to lower it? I was wondering where you found this info so I could do some research. I have a 48 four door that I am currently working on and want to lower it some. Thanks in advance and get healed up.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, andyd said:

I had a Fulton visor on my 1941 Coupe...it came from a 1948 Sedan in the USA, AFAIK it was a Fulton 1000 Series and I made a stronger centre bar bracket, it was otherwise stock as obtained......I liked it as it seemed to be a much more streamlined style than the flat "plank" ones, but thats just a personal opinion..........and I sold the car like a dope.......it had 0ne coil cut from the front and 2" blocks on the rear springs, otherwise stock suspension ......andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Hello, I see that your car had one coil cut from the front springs, I am contemplating lowering doing my 48 4 Door. I was curious if having the springs cut had any  negative steering geometry issues such as uneven tire wear etc... thanks in advance

• Like 1

As far as having one coil cut from the front suspension all it seemed to do was make the ride a little harsher, if I had kept the car I would have eventually had new coils made of the new lowered height which would have changed the overall ride, I also would have changed the front shocks and/or the upper shock mount as well as getting a stiffer front sway bar made......the shock 1940/41 sway bar is only about 3/4 or 7/8th thick........I had a 1" thick sway bar made with Heim joints and it made a huge difference to the handling...........andyd    

HI Gents

- Moog strings I found out about on this forum, they arent fitted yet but told are lower slightly and fit straight in, the ones in now are the original ones and are just tired. These will go on once the front end gets done, I bought a kit from Kantar (these kits do get resold by other guys) prob this winter along with king pins 

- Coils. Didnt have one cut that I'm aware of so no issues with geomatry or un even tyre wear

- Sway bar, thanks Andy good to know, being in the UK not sure how I can get one but if there are resellers in the US perhaps I'll just have to look at getting one sent over

Pic is from a recent meet I went to and thank you for your kind wishes, us car guys get bumps in the road from time to time :-))

779261EA-499B-4CD2-A44E-762F78A3F1E1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Kit said:

HI Gents

- Moog strings I found out about on this forum, they arent fitted yet but told are lower slightly and fit straight in, the ones in now are the original ones and are just tired. These will go on once the front end gets done, I bought a kit from Kantar (these kits do get resold by other guys) prob this winter along with king pins 

- Coils. Didnt have one cut that I'm aware of so no issues with geomatry or un even tyre wear

- Sway bar, thanks Andy good to know, being in the UK not sure how I can get one but if there are resellers in the US perhaps I'll just have to look at getting one sent over

Pic is from a recent meet I went to and thank you for your kind wishes, us car guys get bumps in the road from time to time :-))

779261EA-499B-4CD2-A44E-762F78A3F1E1.jpeg

thanks for the update, I have a set of Aerostar springs that I have been told may fit but I will have to look at them.