1950 P-19 Plymouth Fastback UK

Kit

Hi Everyone

Thought I would share  'Peppa' with you, she's our 1950 two door Sedan Fastback and has been in the shop since August 2019 to get all the rust taken out, brakes sorted etc etc so far we're looking at new window rubbers, inner cills, boot floor, fuel tank, trunk floor, inner fenders. After that we'll get a new headlining, seat covers and carpets. The body and trim dents straightened and door rust will eventually get done. Doing this on a real shoestring budget so my two children and I can cruise around, do a few shows. Luckily a few mates of mine own other US cars, Pick-Ups etc I also have a 1942 WLA in the shed. Being based in the UK it often proves difficult and very expensive for parts, so would gladly accept any parts donations and I'll always pay for postage ;) Really looking forward to getting her on the road very soon, cheers Kit   

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Edited by Kit
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum.
You'll find a lot of very useful information, and some amazingly helpful people on here.
As a 'new' UK owner, I hope you'll be able to join us at The P-15 Picnic in September, and come along to The Pilgrimage in April.
PM me with your email address and I'll add you to our circular news list.
Also, if you're on facebook we have a page for UK owners, so please join us here.
All the best,

Robin

• Like 1

A litle update, the car spent about 1yr & 3 months getting welding done through C-19, in that time engine & tranny out which were cleaned up & painted, new full brake system, fuel tank, rewired & now 12v, I went with Tom Langdons Split exhaust manifold, custom built exhaust using Matt Bolts Mufflers here in the UK, he's well known in NHRA circles & they sound great, a Weber 32/36 carb with heat & K&N filter.

Now we are doing Tom Langdons HEI & the suspension. Dropped her off tonight as I've only been able to drive following a really bad road accident on a motorcycle that wasn't my fault in April. The rear leafs are flat & fronts old, front end stock rebuild using parts from Kantar, front coils Moog Aerostar ones, reaf leafs made "1 lower than stock & we'll put some blocks on, prob "2. We'll be using the relocation brackets for the shocks/dampers mentioned elsewhere in P15-D24, putting those on to see if that helps the 'wallow'. One of the things we had to do was run the twin exhausts under the axel as there wasn't enough room & just off the bump stops, with the new suspension we'll see if we can run these over the top, not a straight job at the fuek tanks gets in the way on the drivers side. 

Headlights we did change, using Land Rover ones, also used alot of other Land Rover bits such as ignition parts

On Instagram see Peppa_the_Plymouth there are a few more pics there, we made the American car magazine here in the UK at the Plymouth picnic  & a few meetings in '21 such as Rally of the Giants where the original single exhaust fell off & we had to be pushed out of the arena, but we styled it out. Just looking forward to having this work done & being really busy in the scene here in the UK in '23. During my research Peppa is only 1 of 2 P-19 Fastbacks here so quite a rare beastie  

Dec 19th - Added; Just got word tonight, the rear springs aren't doing very well, bent in an S shape so we thing they may not have been tempered..but of a pain seeing as they come from the US so talking with the suppliers now to see what can be done  

F4C9850E-03BB-4DE6-A8A4-AD1D7A2E5CCE.jpeg

Edited by Kit
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kit said:

A litle update, the car spent about 1yr & 3 months getting welding done through C-19, in that time engine & tranny out which were cleaned up & painted, new full brake system, fuel tank, rewired & now 12v, I went with Tom Langdons Split exhaust manifold, custom built exhaust using Matt Bolts Mufflers here in the UK well known in NHRA circles and they sound great, a Weber 32/36 carb with heat & K&N filter.

Now we are doing Tom Langdons HEI, the suspension, dropped her off tonight as I've only been able to drive following a really bad road accident on a motorcycle that wasn't my fault in April. The rear leafs are flat & fronts old, front end stock rebuild using parts from Kantar, front coils Moog Aerostar ones, reaf leafs made "1 lower than stock & we'll put some blocks on, prob "2. Using the relocation brackets for the shocks/Dampers mentioned here we'll put those on too to see if that helds the 'wallow' 

Headlights we did change, using Land Rover ones

On Instagram see Peppa_the_Plymouth as there are a few more pics there, we did make the American car magazine here & a few meetings in '21. Just lookig forward to having this work done & being really busy in the scene here in the UK in '23. During my research Peppa is only 1 of 2 P-19 Fastbacks here in the UK 

It's always good to read your updates, Kit.
Hope you'll be joining us at the P-15 Picnic in April.

We're looking forward to seeing you, and the car, again.

P-15 Picnic 2021 colour-223.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)

Rear Leaf spring issues

The new rear leaf springs we can’t figure out whats going on here, any thoughts.

Dampers aren’t restricting, shackles are moving, spring arch distance is the same as old ones, supplier is certain they are tempered (American made). As you can see they are not looking very good as soon as you put weight on. (Will prob re-mount lower damper, how do others do that, just weld a pin?)

15BF728B-9584-432F-8156-779A9C1DC597.jpeg

1BF71001-6A01-49CF-A6A7-4FF80C7CB9C7.jpeg

CF73E525-E21A-4297-A754-31906374945E.jpeg

Edited by Kit

The spring company say that as they are “1 lower than stock which is what I asked for they do this, but Im not convinced this is right, there looks like literally no spring effect. Plus they are made in batches of 50 so should all be tempered correctly. 
Never see leaf springs like this before even on Land Rovers with leafs removed

Those springs if new must have been made to support the weight of the rear of  pinto at most.

They forgot to temper treat them ??

Junk as is for your application.

MY opinion.

DJ

Kit......to be blunt.....those springs are ****...........at the very least I'd want those replaced or retempered but I'd be very wary of the quality from that company.......how about their name?............were they made in the UK or from the USA via Kanter(?) maybe?.......I'd be telling them that good service gets a good name.........poor service or products gets their name repeated ad nauseum and on forums like this.......lol........regards from Oz........andyd

On 12/14/2022 at 5:53 AM, Robin (UK) said:

It's always good to read your updates, Kit.
Hope you'll be joining us at the P-15 Picnic in April.

We're looking forward to seeing you, and the car, again.

P-15 Picnic 2021 colour-223.jpg

I really like the visor on the cream colored car. I've kicked around putting one on mine but I hadn't seen one I liked, most of the ones I've seen look like tone ones on the green or burgundy cars. I also like the little visors on the headlights but both windshield and headlight visors seem to draw a lot of criticism from some folks (not that I pay much attention to what others think about my stuff). 

Any idea what brand or type that one is?

9 hours ago, LeRoy said:

I really like the visor on the cream colored car. I've kicked around putting one on mine but I hadn't seen one I liked, most of the ones I've seen look like tone ones on the green or burgundy cars. I also like the little visors on the headlights but both windshield and headlight visors seem to draw a lot of criticism from some folks (not that I pay much attention to what others think about my stuff). 

The cream car is Kit's so he may be able to confirm the ID of the visor.
My guess is that it's a Peckat. It's a cool piece.

A reversed eye spring will accomplish 1-2 inches without coming close to de-arcing.  Try Posie Super Slides, they have the correct lowering spring.  Not sure about shipping though.  I used them on my 47 but no pictures.

Also, when using lowered springs and/or blocks it is recommended to move the lower shock (damper) attachment to the bottom spring plate.  This helps with the extreme angle your dampers are at and actually allows them to work.

Your current spring pack would work well in an air-over-spring set up if you choose to go that route.

Here is a stock spring pack with the bottom short leaf removed and a 2 inch lowering block.  Springs are still not de-arced and are very worn out.

IMG_2840.JPG.83722c97da94beb40fd710eeafa4e1b8.JPG

I had a Fulton visor on my 1941 Coupe...it came from a 1948 Sedan in the USA, AFAIK it was a Fulton 1000 Series and I made a stronger centre bar bracket, it was otherwise stock as obtained......I liked it as it seemed to be a much more streamlined style than the flat "plank" ones, but thats just a personal opinion..........and I sold the car like a dope.......it had 0ne coil cut from the front and 2" blocks on the rear springs, otherwise stock suspension ......andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Edited by andyd

• 3 weeks later...

Sharing a little update for you guys, so here we go. Old springs put back on with "2 blocks (think she looks alot better) bottoms out if we take the local speed humps a bit too fast & will have to deflate the tyre if I ever have to take it off.

The new springs that looked f***ed we think weren't tempered even though they say they were, the supplier said they were fine a couple of times, saying they are suppose to be that way, but as you guys..we just weren't convinced (even the guys at Eaton Springs kindly looked at the pics & said the same thing we were all thinking) they refunded me $600 which was good of them, glad as things are really dear to ship here to the UK, think it was $350 alone in shipping these rear leafs..

We also relocated the rear bottom damper location by making some plates up so they actually do damping, the high location / orginal prob wastes 60%+ as they are at such an angle.

HEI from Tom Langdon isn't fitted yet, no new Kingpins, not put any of the front moving parts on from Kantar or the Moog Aerostars but we did fix the passenger door so it doesn't rattle which was driving me nuts & the Drivers door handle mech was taken apart, worn parts welded, discovering that the two replacement door springs @ $40 from 'dodgeybay' fitted but all the tangs were wrong.

Went out for a short drive today, cleaned the whites & jet washed the rest, man I love driving this car. Anyone any info on the Body number?  And Yup that is gaffer tape holding the fender trim on, not yet fixed that yet of course, trying to get the original trim clips seems to be an expensive task & hard to find so I'll prob JB weld nuts & bolts unless anyone out there has some spares they could help with..Thanks 

A4AB2D17-47E6-4F25-A881-90F02C0A5AD8_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Kit

On 12/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, LeRoy said:

Fulton I think it is 

• Like 1