Overdrive Kickdown Switch

Loren

I find myself in need of a carburetor mounted Overdrive Kick Down switch.

I have a floor mounted switch but it is too long and the threaded portion is too big around for the hole in the bracket.

It's always something isn't it?

Thanks for the photo!

I saw a kit that had all of brackets to mount on the linkage, but they were mighty proud of it.

Your linkage looks very robust!

It seems the factory did it both ways, directly on the carburetor or on the linkage.

Without a doubt either way is superior to "up through the floor board to the gas pedal."

The carburetors I am going to use were from V8s (although the 1955-56 "Power Pack" used one).

I've used the Bendix-Stromberg WW before and I always wondered why the throttle was so big and had so many "features".

It seems they were built to accommodate Overdrive Kickdown Switches and Dash Pots for automatics.

When tuning one, they use a lot of parts from the 48, 81 & 97 carburetors so parts are readily available. (things like jets and such)

They are however much shorter than a 97 and another level of technology beyond them.

To make them shorter Stromberg went from 3 stud mounting to 4 which means any application that has a 97 pattern needs an adaptor.

The bracket I made was a temporary proof of concept, about 15 years ago!

I hate the little joints on the stock throttle linkage and so I used little heim joints. I use threaded rod and get everything how I like it...

...Then take some stainless brake line tube and cut it to length and stick it over the threaded rod and put everything back together.

The linkage is nice and tight and has worked for years without any trouble.

James

The switch I bought from ebay came today so here’s a photo of it on the carburetor.

It was sold as a Studebaker OD switch but honestly I don’t think it cares what it goes on.

Studebaker of all the car companies really embraced OD and had the highest percentage installed.

They also used this carburetor a lot.

The switch was new and came in a box with a part number. I am sure that number will appear in somebody’s catalog.

A8CD27B1-4BF4-49AF-BAC9-5ED057CAF75A.jpeg

DF6B0427-D496-4110-B79E-F3327DAE3941.jpeg

• Like 1