Cab Center Window Glass Installation

I was able to get the cab corner windows in myself, but the center window is giving me a hard time. I bought some hemp rope at the hardware store to try the old rope trick, but that was no help at all. Maybe hemp is the wrong type. Maybe the rope was the wrong size. Who knows? Anyway, someone on this forum probably knows a good method for installing the center window. I searched the Pilothouse forum but didn't see any posts about this. Nothing about this specifically on Youtube either as far as I can tell.

20200206_192955_resized.jpg.fc4c701c5c432d586dea666418f4e7f9.jpg

I used some dish soap, some nylon string and a wife.

Install rubber on window

Soap up the rubber

Rap the string around the rubber

Have wife hold pressure on window and seal from inside while you slowly draw the seal out and around the frame.

Be careful not to pull string to hard and cut through the rubber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently had to use plastic tooling to install a center glass with new rubber...had a helper push against the glass as I worked the rubber lip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have any friends so, I did mine by myself using a set of “glass grippers” the rope Tom mentions and a plastic scribe tool Rob mentioned. 

Standing on the outside of the cab, I pulled it from the inside out, set the bottom lip of the rubber on the pinch weld and worked the rope  while pulling the gripper (Fine tuned it with the scribe)  

I should really get some friends ?

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I don’t have any friends so, I did mine by myself using a set of “glass grippers” the rope Tom mentions and a plastic scribe tool Rob mentioned. 

Standing on the outside of the cab, I pulled it from the inside out, set the bottom lip of the rubber on the pinch weld and worked the rope  while pulling the gripper (Fine tuned it with the scribe)  

I should really get some friends ?

well you DO live 10000000 miles away from us all!  Maybe you and Tim should alternate BBQ years and you can have everyone work on your trucks at YOUR place instead of TIM's!  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I don’t have any friends, so......I should really get some friends.

You've got friends, knucklehead...lol.

LadiesAuxillary.jpg

photo: Brent getting an award at the 10th annual Clements Tailgate BBQ and

holding me back as Chevy guys stole my brownies.

Nick work Jocko....looks great!

48D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to everyone who responded with window installation tips! I was able to install the center window. I used some string and a plastic pry tool from HF. I had a helper hold the window from the inside. If I ever do this again, I'll try using a slightly thicker string (maybe 1/8 inch thick) to reduce the chance of cutting the rubber or breaking the string. The string I used was only .090 because that's what I had laying around.

20200210_174726_resized.jpg.4d950a44284e00801de05c8bc9eb3b23.jpg 20200210_170342_resized.jpg.ef15c0cdb28bd5efc7ec57fbf27599f7.jpg 

20200210_183517_resized.jpg.f23ac18eaf4be137d4ffef92c0af249e.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
wording
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the weed trimmer line idea better than using a fiber string. Trimmer line would be less abrasive to the rubber and should pull out and around with less friction. I'll remember that for next time. Good idea.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B