46 1/2 ton universal joints

TylerB46

Hey folks, I’m getting pretty close to being able to drive my truck and I need universal joints. All I can find are $75 and $90 replacements for this truck and I really don’t want to spent $150-$180 on u-joints. Does anyone know of any cheaper ones that would be interchangeable? 

Sometimes ya gotta pay to play...

Sort of off topic:  Has anyone asked a shop to dis-assemble the u-joints of this type (I am assuming the "ball and trunnion" type)?  Reason for question:  Several years ago, I had my 1937 Plymouth sedan drive shaft in an auto repair shop, the mechanic was using a large hydraulic press to attempt dis-assembly.  He gave up, and I was relieved as it looked as though the joint parts or the press/mandrel parts might pop out like a bullet.  Result?  The old joints are still in my 37 Plym, still vibrate.  Sorry about getting off the O.P.'s original question.  I think many people read forums hoping to gain information they can use themselves.

4 minutes ago, dmartin_egroup said:

Sort of off topic:  Has anyone asked a shop to dis-assemble the u-joints of this type (I am assuming the "ball and trunnion" type)?  Reason for question:  Several years ago, I had my 1937 Plymouth sedan drive shaft in an auto repair shop, the mechanic was using a large hydraulic press to attempt dis-assembly.  He gave up, and I was relieved as it looked as though the joint parts or the press/mandrel parts might pop out like a bullet.  Result?  The old joints are still in my 37 Plym, still vibrate.  Sorry about getting off the O.P.'s original question.  I think many people read forums hoping to gain information they can use themselves.

some trucks have that style but I think by post war most had gone to a more conventional style of ujoint. What makes these expensive is rather than using clips the caps are serrated and there is a serrated strap piece that holds the cap in place. 

The 'Ball and Trunnion" u-joint, also called "Detroit" type is much different from others, such as the "Spicer" type.  Info that I know about is in my 1936 to 42 Plymouth parts book, also my Dodge truck parts book covering many models including the 1/2 ton model WC.  I am not much good at copying pictures from books,  or Ebay.  I did look in Ebay for Mopar kits, found a few with pics, but no Mopar number listed.  BTW, I don't recall caps or serrated clips as parts of the joints I am referring to.  I think our discussion may be about two different types of joints.  The "Detroit" type was used in some cars into the 1960s.