Not really sure what to call what I’m looking for

JSabah

My transmission is back in and the linkage rods are in place but still need some adjustments. Before I do that (or have it done) I think I should have on hand the parts that I’m missing/lost. In the attached picture (Which I lifter off the web) there is a pivot that has 2 ball mounts inserted on each side (don’t  know the name) and each ball joint has 2 half circles (some type of split bushing - also don’t know what they are called). Those bushing halves are kept in place by ???? - that is what I’m missing. Is there a washer? Some type of spring /circlip? Sorry I don’t have my manual with me. But I don’t recall finding why I was look for in it. Once I know what I’m looking for, I’ll need to know where to look ? 

4A9D7C5F-F95B-49EF-B514-31307FE9F460.jpeg

Clutch linkage torque shaft. There is a two piece split bushing in each end. They slide into a recess in the torque shaft. When everything is bolted together it all stays in place.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

torque shaft pilot bearings avail from OLDMOPARTS.COM-Andy Bernbaums

Cannot remember if there was some type of clip outside edge to retain them  -to long ago to remember. When parts are off they will show if there is a groove for a snap ring type or not.

DJ

9.gif

P15 Clutch Brake Linkage (2).JPGBearings # 635884...4 required

Clutch Torque shaft spring clip.jpgClutch Torque Shaft Bearing Retaining Clip 

There are two styles of spring /snap ring clips that retain the two bearing halves in on the frame side of the torque shaft.

it fits/snaps into a machined groove in the clutch torque shaft on the frame side only. Shown is the later easily replaced style.

The other style is a semi round wavy  cir-clip that snaps into the same groove.... part #1140557

I cannot find the above pictured snap clip part#.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 4

The original bearing halves are a diecast zinc alloy, however I know that hard white plastic versions are available, exactly the same size and shape as the metal ones.......at least the plastic ones are available here in Oz as the Oz Valiants with manual trans used these on the mechanical clutch linkage at least till the early 70's.....I would have thought that the plastic versions were originally ex US mopar parts as US mopars used mechanical clutches again till at least the mid 70's AFAIK.............andyd 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

The original bearing halves are a diecast zinc alloy, however I know that hard white plastic versions are available, exactly the same size and shape as the metal ones.......at least the plastic ones are available here in Oz as the Oz Valiants with manual trans used these on the mechanical clutch linkage at least till the early 70's.....I would have thought that the plastic versions were originally ex US mopar parts as US mopars used mechanical clutches again till at least the mid 70's AFAIK.............andyd 

You are spot on Andydodge!

JSabah, you can call Brewers Performance and order the plastic pieces(if needed), the Mopar Muscle cars used them in the "Z" bars well into the 1970's.  However, if you have the metal halves, keep those.  Don't forget to grease everything up really well when you assemble it. 

The clutch torque shaft retainer clips may also be available at Brewers, but I don't know for sure.  I fortunately have never lost one, and never needed to search for one.  Sorry for not being useful on the last part....

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

the clips from the later Mopars don't look like the one pictured. 

https://www.manciniracing.com/zbarballparts.html

They are completely different, I never had a car have one of those early clips missing...  Thank God...  I wish that I knew where one could be easily found.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSabah said:

Good to know. I’ll try and bend one up out of music wire just to have it ... if I cAn. But good to know that it may not be necessary 

I sort of figured you mean something like piano wire, but had to look it up to be sure.  Can you bend that stuff w/o heating it, and if you do, do you need to re-temper it?  (I ask for two reasons - natural curiosity, and because I know I'm missing some of those special springs that hold the rollers in the window winding mechanism into the window guides.)

If you cannot find the OE  part why not save yourself the trouble and use an internal snap ring...

McMaster Carr has millions of them.

And a great online catalog to find most anything you need.

But you can find internal snap rings at your local parts store too...

image_20101.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

9 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I sort of figured you mean something like piano wire, but had to look it up to be sure.  Can you bend that stuff w/o heating it, and if you do, do you need to re-temper it?  (I ask for two reasons - natural curiosity, and because I know I'm missing some of those special springs that hold the rollers in the window winding mechanism into the window guides.)

Will keep you posted when I find out myself. From the web research I did, I don’t believe you need to heat (or re-temper) it. 

BTW I had to order 3 pieces each 12” long .... so I may have some extra (if it is the right size for you)

Edited by JSabah

11 hours ago, JSabah said:

Good to know. I’ll try and bend one up out of music wire just to have it ... if I cAn. But good to know that it may not be necessary 

21 hours ago, 40desoto said:

I recently removed mine and no retaining clip existed. Didnt think they needed one as the rotating part does not move horizontally for them to fall out.  

i stand corrected.  I just took my assembly apart  and noticed one side had the retaining clip and the side that goes to the engine side does not. The side that uses the retaining clip has a groove as the other side doesnt.

9F446D65-A782-4AE1-99B4-DADD4E4908B1.jpeg

56FB9DA0-7D66-4873-8868-D844F0102637.jpeg

6EC18C11-59D3-4CB3-BD06-F6BF59433ECF.jpeg

That style spring clip is really strong and tough to install and remove.

Yep clip only installs on one side with the groove.

The clip I show is so much easier to service...

53 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That style spring clip is really strong and tough to install and remove.

Yep clip only installs on one side with the groove.

The clip I show is so much easier to service...

Thanks.  Havent had to put on in but I can imagine. I will be looking for one like on your clip. 

will they show the torque shaft in the Chrysler master tech video series,,??  maybe this one,,,,A Good Man In The Clutch   2-4  (016)   dec 1948..

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=387

or

the booklet

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/016.pdf

On 2/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, JSabah said:

Interesting... I just assumed (my 1st mistake) that both sides had them. I also have one on the outside and not the engine side. Maybe I’m not missing anything. But I still can’t get the clutch pedal to return ?

Once I installed the clutch spring My clutch pedal doesnt return either.  We might be having the same issue.  Ill be posting a separate thread on this issue but thought Id share with you here as well.

4 hours ago, 40desoto said:

Once I installed the clutch spring My clutch pedal doesnt return either.  We might be having the same issue.  Ill be posting a separate thread on this issue but thought Id share with you here as well.

I'll look for your posts.  I was able however get my pedal to return....at least most of the way.  It turns out that I had the spring that keeps a bit of tension on the clutch fork on while I adjusted the clutch rod.  When I disconnected that (small/light) spring, I was able to adjust the rod to the proper location.  In fact there was so much that needed to be adjusted, that I had to turn the bracket that holds the rod on the pivot side around.  Once I did that, a bit of adjusting of the "over center" spring as per the manual and it started working.  A bit of lubricant and forcing new grease in the zerks helped too.  Your setup being an earlier car is a bit different as I dont believe you have an overcenter spring but rather a main spring and a return springs.  I think starting with the rod correct may help you and then use the manual for your setup.  My pedal doesnt quite cone all the way up but it comes up enough to not "ride" the clutch.  Maybe it will work itself out a bit or a bit more fiddling.

1 hour ago, JSabah said:

I'll look for your posts.  I was able however get my pedal to return....at least most of the way.  It turns out that I had the spring that keeps a bit of tension on the clutch fork on while I adjusted the clutch rod.  When I disconnected that (small/light) spring, I was able to adjust the rod to the proper location.  In fact there was so much that needed to be adjusted, that I had to turn the bracket that holds the rod on the pivot side around.  Once I did that, a bit of adjusting of the "over center" spring as per the manual and it started working.  A bit of lubricant and forcing new grease in the zerks helped too.  Your setup being an earlier car is a bit different as I dont believe you have an overcenter spring but rather a main spring and a return springs.  I think starting with the rod correct may help you and then use the manual for your setup.  My pedal doesnt quite cone all the way up but it comes up enough to not "ride" the clutch.  Maybe it will work itself out a bit or a bit more fiddling.

Thanks!  Thats exactly what fixed mine.  I extended the rod in order to adjust and now the pedal comes all the way back.