Vent window replacement

Hickory

I have a 49 royal 4 door. I'm in the process of replacing the vent windows.  I have removed them and got them out of the framework. I plan on buying glass and rubbers from bernbaums. So I'm looking for the best way to remove the glass from the chrome frame. I also need to know what the rubber piece that halds the glass in the frame is so I can get some. Ty

It's been a while but I remember using pb blaster and soaking the glass to frame area for a few days the carefully digging out one side of the old stuff with a pick after it softened up.  Then wiggle jiggled the glass out.  Going back in I use Glazer's tape then trimmed it back to the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/J-V-Converting-DC-WGT-01-BLK0525013-Glazing/dp/B07KMTD1YR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hickory said:

I have a 49 royal 4 door. I'm in the process of replacing the vent windows.  I have removed them and got them out of the framework. I plan on buying glass and rubbers from bernbaums. So I'm looking for the best way to remove the glass from the chrome frame. I also need to know what the rubber piece that halds the glass in the frame is so I can get some. Ty

Check out the excellent video series that Mark,  a "41 Plymouth owner, created a few years ago. This episode  1941 Plymouth Restoration (#14)  deals with the vent wing windows and glass.

Bob.........any idea whatever happened to Mark...........they were an excellent videos series he did and were very well done and informative.........he just seems to have dropped off the shelf .............Andy Douglas

soak them in solvent to soften the glass channel tape. After it softens they will slide out with some coaxing. You can take the glass pieces to a local glass shop and have them cut duplicate new ones and install them as well...some food for thought.

You can also get a heat gun from HArbor Freight and then heat the metal frame along the rubber inner edges this will soften the grip on the glass.  As it get softer then pull the glass straight out of the frame.

The material you are referencing is called glass setting tape It is a rubber  tape material.  Not found in most glass shops.  They way that they are doing it today  is with silicone glue it is black and then this permits the glass person to move the glass in the frame and get it straight in the frame.

If you are not going for AACA points judging then this is the route I would suggest you to take. The glass setting tape makes a tight fit and yu should use a person that knows how to do the job.

Just my 25 cents of knowledge

Rich HArtung.

Desoto1939@aol.com

I replaced the vent window glass on my '39 Plymouth touring sedan a couple of months ago. I took them to a local glass place because I wanted tempered glass installed. Someone had replaced the glass previously with safety glass, which had started chipping badly on the vertical side that touches the front roll-up window. I read somewhere the original vent glass was tempered. Only the vent glass was tempered, the other glass was safety glass.

Pete