Clips in Tappet Area

Hi All,

Does anyone know what these sheet metal clips are for?  They were in the 251 that I disassembled to convert to a 265.  My 230 did not have them.  There are three of them in the engine, all in the tappet region.  The front and rear ones are a little different from the middle one.  The first image shows one of them from under the engine, and the second image shows one of them from the tappet area.

Thanks.

Lifter Clip 1 Reduced.jpg

Lifter Clip 2 Reduced.jpg

Never seen anything thing like that..

Maybe put there to prevent valve keepers from falling down into the crankcase by previous shop or owner ?

Of course rags work well.

Odd.

• Like 1

Was your 236 an industrial, truck or car engine...

Maybe the clips are an industrial thing.

8 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Was your 236 an industrial, truck or car engine...

Maybe the clips are an industrial thing.

My 251 came out of a 1963 Dodge Power Wagon, which I think would not have been an industrial engine.  I guess I'll put those clips back in when I reassemble the engine, but it would be nice to know what they're for.

I'll look through my 60's DodgeTruck Parts books and see if I can ID those clips now that I know they could come stock in a truck engine..

I don't have but a couple industrial parts books.

20200204_210943.jpg.a73dde8016620739e0c47e79cc02d7f0.jpgThey are called a "Baffle"...meaning probably oil slash baffle I guess.

I could only find them in the 1957 and later truck books...there are teo sizes..large and small.

Part #'s 1634269 and 270.

• Like 2

The engine was out of a 48 or 49 truck. I have not exactly determined the size of truck but it had a vacuum shift rear axle and boosted brake system.

Could the baffles be for added durability for truck engines? Similar to the sodium valves in some truck engines. 

4 hours ago, rockingjd said:

The engine was out of a 48 or 49 truck. I have not exactly determined the size of truck but it had a vacuum shift rear axle and boosted brake system.

Could the baffles be for added durability for truck engines? Similar to the sodium valves in some truck engines. 

Those clip baffles I could not find in any 1956 or older parts books or shop manuals.

I have never seen them in any B series truck engines ever till these mentioned.

Never have read any tech bulletins either.

There is most likely a truck service sheet on them in the latest 50's describing them. I only have the B series bulletins.

Why your 237 has them is a good question.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

What is the “Valve Tappet - Silencer package” for the tappet chamber? 

That's for V8 applications.

Just my 2 cents:  I've seen overhead valve covers with sheet metal baffles to keep oil from seeping out of oil fill caps and to keep oil mist from getting sucked into PCV plumbing and ultimately the charged air flow...perhaps there was a sheet metal baffle added to keep oil from seeping out of the flathead valve covers as they notoriously do, with the baffles riding on the valve cover bolts and restrained from interfering with the valve area by those clips...these baffles would be in the way during valve adjustments and could be left on the work bench when the truck left the shop...

Interesting...so we at least know they are called baffles, although the parts book that Dodgeb4ya shows only lists one of each baffle, but my engine has two of the larger kind.

Even though these clips or baffles are fitted to the holes that lead from the tappet chamber to the crankcase, they are still rather open to the crankcase.  There are big gaps under these baffles that would let oil readily flow back to the sump.  But maybe there's just enough of a restriction or a splash effect to help the oil go where it needs to go.   Hmmmm....if I don't forget, I may call Vintage Power Wagons tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

Edit:  This just occurred to me....maybe their purpose is to keep too much oil from being slung by the rods and crankshaft into the tappet chamber, which could promote leakage past the valve cover gaskets.  Maybe this what you were getting at, JBNeal?  Or maybe they keep excess oil from getting into the tappet chamber and getting up into the valve guides and sucked into the engine through the intake valves?

Still somewhat of a mystery, but I feel a little less baffled by it all now.?

Edited by Matt Wilson

There are two large and one small baffle clips called for in the parts books...

Notes 1 and 2 specify either 251 or 265 engine..nothing else

20200206_174824.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

There are two large and one small baffle clips called for in the parts books...

Notes 1 and 2 specify either 251 or 265 engine..nothing else

Thanks!  Good to know.  In any case, I think I can reuse the ones I have.  They look like they're in pretty good shape.  I figure they're there for a reason, so I should put 'em back in.