Has anyone disassembled 40's Mopar 6Volt dual horns?s

'41 Fat Bottom Girl

Pulled the horns out of my '41 Dodge a few months back and now found water dripping out. I had them stored under a tarp since November while doing my engine rebuild. Even staying under a tarp with other parts they accumulated a lot of condensation inside from rainy weather out here in the Phoenix area and dew point changes.

Thinking about removing the rivets and drying everything out and de-rusting before reassembling them.

Has anyone attempted this?

Thanx much!

I'd test them first (large diameter wire from high current source like a charged starter battery). If they work okay, then leave them be.

I've not had later ones apart but I had the one on my '33 apart and can tell you that for such a seemingly simple device they are quite touchy on getting them re-assembled and adjusted properly.

yes, they are not difficult to work...as sound as your vibrator plate is not rusted out...you should be able to take apart, clean up, polish the contacts and reassemble..the gaskets need to be same thickness 360 for best results so if damaged, cut new one.  Once together, adjust the contact post for best sound or if you have the amperage chart set this way....you can do the math with Ohms law for this current if you wish.  good luck.

Since you have a  6 volt system you can use a battery charger that has a setting for 6v to supply power to test each horn.  Yes setting the point is tricky but take your time. If you have to clean the points get a points file and do not use sandpaper to clean the points.

It make take several attempts to get the horns to sound and blow together after setting the points it is just trail and error.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanx fellas!

I boldly went forward- Taking the cups off was one screw each- and no rivets in the horn base assembly like I had feared; all are threaded studs around the base perimeter. Simple. 

Looks like the corrosion and rust should clean up easily. I will clean up the parts and dress the contacts lightly with a points file (I can see some pits and material deposition with an eye loupe- quite normal for contacts with DC voltage) and readjust. 

Initial tests using a full charged battery gives me burps of sound when I make and break but no prolonged sound, so my guess is the points dressing and adjusting will get me there. This is the first time I have taken a horn apart and it is very similar to an electric buzzer or bell. 

Plymouthy, I have some nice thin gasket materials and also insulating fish paper, so per advice I will replace any questionable ones. I have good continuity on the coils and no shorts to ground. Per your suggestion, it sure won't hurt to measure the coil resistance and verify volts under load to check the amp draw to ensure I am within the ballpark per specs when making the final adjustment. Then back together for stripping and new paint. Pic shows my starting condition.

Again, thanx to both of you for the replies. Great help.

Motorheads forever!

Horns.JPG