missing valve keepers FOUND in a strange place

kencombs

My parts cleaning tank apparently ate one pair or keepers.  Started putting the valves/springs/retainer/keepers in today and I'm 2 keepers short.  I've wasted enough time searching, so went looking online for some.  Lots available, but in full engine sets.

Anyone know of a source for just  a pair?

Well, the PN I found on RockAuto is a good one, but only available there in lots of 32.  Not needing those I checked, Advance, Orielly's, AutoZone and Napa locally.  All agreed that it was a good number but not available for order in either of the stores.   

So, back to Rock.  They list a number of different part numbers the the original part may be listed as in various catalogs, under the INFO tab.  One PN caught my eye as it was an unusual format.  Googled that one and found it was a John Deere PN, used on an old combine engine.  And not a six, but a four cylinder.  Knowing that JD has an excellent track record of having parts available for older stuff, I called the local dealer.

Two days later I had them in hand. 

Edited by kencombs

16 hours ago, kencombs said:

My parts cleaning tank apparently ate one pair or keepers.  Started putting valves/springs/retainer/keepers in today and I'm 2 keepers short.  I've wasted enough time searching, so went looking online for some.  Lots available, but in full engine sets.

Thanks for the melling suggestion, but that one doesn't fit.  It doesn't look like Melling even makes one that does.  Sealed Power does,  VK-63.  Looks like they are available, but not stocked by any of my locals.  But, believe it or not, there is a JD P/N that fits, T167T.  It's for a four cylinder combine engine.  I'll check with my nearby JD dealer Monday.  They have a great part system and may have them.  If not, I'll visit NAPA and the rest of the usual suspects for an order.

What bugs me most is this:  I know I have a full set of extras.  Found the valves, springs, retainers and other parts saved from a 230 that I tore down a few years back.  But no keepers.  Probably put them up somewhere safe.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, kencombs said:

My parts cleaning tank apparently ate one pair or keepers.  Started putting the valves/springs/retainer/keepers in today and I'm 2 keepers short.  I've wasted enough time searching, so went looking online for some.  Lots available, but in full engine sets.

Well, the PN I found on RockAuto is a good one, but only available there in lots of 32.  Not needing those I checked, Advance, Orielly's, AutoZone and Napa locally.  All agreed that it was a good number but not available for order in either of the stores.   

So, back to Rock.  They list a number of different part numbers the the original part may be listed as in various catalogs, under the INFO tab.  One PN caught my eye as it was an unusual format.  Googled that one and found it was a John Deere PN, used on an old combine engine.  And not a six, but a four cylinder.  Knowing that JD has an excellent track record of having parts available for older stuff, I called the local dealer.

Two days later I had them in hand. 

Has anyone else encountered the issue where the parts store list number, and handle that brand, but are unable to order it?

This is the third time for me and it's really frustrating.  The last one was a camber adjustment kit for a GM auto with struts.  Everyone could see the number in the computer, and had the same brand of part on the shelf (not that part but something from the same maker), but couldn't order it.  apparently stores cannot order direct from the factory or factory distributor, only from their own regional warehouse.

However, the local Oreillys can do custom rebuilds.  I've had them send water pumps that they don't sell in to their rebuilder for a repair and return service.