Dip stick length

JSabah

What is the length of a dip stick for a 49-50 Plymouth 218 with a 4” tube? Mine is missing and someone gave me one off a different car and when I put it in the tube it feels like it goes all the way to the bottom of the pan (and still hasn’t seated). So I’m looking for the correct one. I suppose you would measure from the tip to the cup/cap. Thank you

Put in a length of stiff wire, measure the depth cut the dip stick 1/4 shorter, .Then use a file to put a notch and line  in it at the full level. Maybe even a bit of red paint also. Or drain the oil, put 4 quarts in and mark that as an ADD mark.

The pan will be full with 5 quarts in it.

Most of these MoPar 8flatheads use 5 quarts in the pan...add another quart for the filter

So to be clear. My engine is fresh off a rebuild and has no fluids/oil.
1.  I’ll stick a stiff wire in the tube all the way until it hits the bottom. 

2. cut my dip stick 1/4” short of that measurement 

3.  Put 4 quarts of oil in

4. mark the “add line”

5.  Put a 5th quart in and mark the “Full” line

but expect that I’ll be adding another quart after the engine is run due to the oil filter holding what it holds plus any interior lines etc. - interesting that the manual gives a quantity without the filter (ie capacity according to the manual is 5 quarts - not 5 quarts plus filter quantity etc.)

Assuming that the quantities are correct (I’ll confirm with the manual as I have a Flathead 6 -218) I’m just not 100% clear on the quantity aspect.  Please confirm I’m understanding. Thanks 

Edited by JSabah

11 minutes ago, JSabah said:

So to be clear. My engine is fresh off a rebuild and has no fluids/oil.
1.  I’ll stick a stiff wire in the tube all the way until it hits the bottom. 

2. cut my dip stick 1/4” short of that measurement 

3.  Put 4 quarts of oil in

3a. Start engine. run for a short while.  Stop engine. 

4. mark the “add line”

5.  Put a 5th quart in and mark the “Full” line

but expect that I’ll be adding another quart after the engine is run due to the oil filter holding what it holds plus any interior lines etc. - interesting that the manual gives a quantity without the filter (ie capacity according to the manual is 5 quarts - not 5 quarts plus filter quantity etc.)

Assuming that the quantities are correct (I’ll confirm with the manual as I have a Flathead 6 -218) I’m just not 100% clear on the quantity aspect.  Please confirm I’m understanding. Thanks 

See blue above.  IMHO, that added step will assure that the add line is with 4 qts in oil pan , the block passages and filter full of oil.  I think that because that is the normal situation when checking oil level between services.

That is what you mentioned also. 

I suspect the manual capacity spec is written that way because the filter was an option, not standard for most years.

No need to start engine if you are going to use 4quarts as the add level.  The system capacity is 5 1/2 qt with the filter which retains 1/2 qt. So assuming 5 is full on the stick 4 would constitute the add mark.as all you are measuring is the oil in the sump. So if it's empty and you put in 5 quarts and run it so the filter is full, when you pull the dip sick it should show 1/2 qt low to account for the oil in the filter, but still above your add mark, then add 1/2qt.  This should give you 5 qts in the sump or full, half qt in the filter good to go. Your add line will leave you 4 qts in the pan and half in the filter or 1 qt low for the system.  Does this add up for you?

The filter only gets empty when you drain it. So it actually acts like a half quart reserve.  So when your stick shows add there is still 4 1/2 quarts in the system.

Over the years of having these cars when they were new dad always ran his ( 41, 49 ,54) at the add mark.  He said it stopped the tendency to burn oil and leak out the rear main seal.  He figured if the engineers said you could run safely at that amount, why put any more in till it went below that??

Edited by greg g

20200201_134800.jpg.e2374856185acbacc2ec2077d6bef366.jpgDipstick out of a 218...20200201_134800.jpg.e2374856185acbacc2ec2077d6bef366.jpg

20200201_134502.jpg

20200201_145537.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I went out to my garage and I had purchased a display rack that had several Dipsticks on it.  The rack shows Dodge and Plymouth with the correct replacement dipstick to fit from 1937-48.

I took some pictures for you and also with a ruler to help you.

No the individual dipstick is not for sale because I would then be missing one unit.

Let me know if you need a line copy drawing of this one and send me your home address.

No to often that you will find a display just on dipsticks. Purchased this about 25 years ago while at Carlise Fall swap meet and it hangs just on the wall in front of my 39 Desoto.

If anyone needs info on the Chrysler/Desoto dipstick they can also contact me

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

• Like 1

I have to ask......why would there be a retail market for dipsticks?? It's not like they wear out.......maybe somebody misplaced their dipstick.....left it on the fender then drove off.......used it for roasting marshmallows over a fire and melted it???  ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I have to ask......why would there be a retail market for dipsticks?? It's not like they wear out.......maybe somebody misplaced their dipstick.....left it on the fender then drove off.......used it for roasting marshmallows over a fire and melted it???  ?

Sam: first, that is a good question.  But remember that Mother Mopar did not make everything for our cars and trucks.  The used suppliers to provide additional parts.  Yes they may have done the casting of the engine blocks and other things, carbs were done by Carter and Stromberg, Electrical components were done by Autolite. Clutches were done by Borg warner tires were done by Goodyear and the list could go on and on.

Just look at todays current auto manufacturers they use parts from all over the world because of cheaper prices and now we have ways to get the parts delivered ontime and when just needed instead of having to have them stock pile in a warehouse just waiting to be sent to the assembly line.  The logistics of parts delivery has become

very technical and not just in the automotive industry, Do you remember a couple of years ago the UPS truck advertisement of get the parts or flowers delivered to the repected company just before they opened their doors for business.  That the way the world is working today.

So I am assuming that maybe this company supplied dipsticks to several of the auto manufacturers.  I was just able to find this display at the right time and the right place and was able to have the display and information in case if someone ever needed the info.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for the pictures! It is a bit hard to tell because of camera angle etc but it looks like the overall length to the cap is about 14 3/4” and that the fill line is 2 1/8” from the bottom with the full line being about 3/4” or 13/16” above that.... 

I tried 15 pictures to clear up the measurements....could not do any better sorry..

OAL is 14-3/4"

Fill (ADD) line is right between 2-1/8" and 2-3/16".

Full is 3-3/16"

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

5 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I was just able to find this display at the right time and the right place and was able to have the display and information in case if someone ever needed the info.

It is a cool display.......great garage wall art.   ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I tried 15 pictures to clear up the measurements....could not do any better sorry..

OAL is 14-3/4"

Full is 3-3/16"

No problem. Thanks for the effort and the clarification... perfect !

Thanks again

9 hours ago, JSabah said:

No problem. Thanks for the effort and the clarification... perfect !

Thanks again

Do you want me to make a tracing of the dipstick so you can fabricate one to be of the same length and shape? Let me know, if you want the tracing send me you home mailing address.

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

19 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

I have to ask......why would there be a retail market for dipsticks?? It's not like they wear out.......maybe somebody misplaced their dipstick.....left it on the fender then drove off.......used it for roasting marshmallows over a fire and melted it??? 

You're probably right Sam. Think about the market for gas caps. More common but same principle. Lost in service related work. How many times have you set a tool down and then couldn't find it for hours. LOL

Joe Lee

I was sure I had the dipstick tube as well, but here is a photo of the dipstick that was on the (blown) engine on my 49 1st series.  I bought the car out of the back row of a salvage in 1981, and the license plate date was 1960.  I tell that to indicate that if a different dipstick was fitted to the car, it happened in that span of years.  I always assumed that this was the "correct" dipstick for the P15, since the engine that came with my 46 is a 55 model.  (The dipstick I have installed is much longer than this one, and has the single round finger hole like all of the ones pictured in this thread so far.

HPIM1065-small.JPG

On 2/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

OAL is 14-3/4"

Full is 3-3/16"

Thank you all for the dimensions/help. I took the easy way out and found this on eBay. dimensions are as above. I will double check by putting 4 qts in and checking then adding the 5th and rechecking and then topping off after it is run a little so the filter fills (another 1/2 qr or so).  This one I found seems to match the one I lost but have pictures of as it has a tube cap as opposed to the felt as well as the bent handle and loop grip. (My engine is actually a 1950 218) 

B6C93979-31E5-4114-B7F3-DB6FB4D7DAEF.jpeg

E467DFB3-A791-45BB-A976-FD8C5B54C22C.jpeg

746976A7-D2B4-4EFC-8E7A-51FBD90DC641.jpeg

Just following up with some info.  When 4 qts are in the level on the dipstick is 1/2 way between the fill and full lines. 5 quarts is right on the full line. I previously pod and thought that  4 quarts would be at time fill line... so if you are showing fill, you are 2 quarts low.... Just an FYI

6 quarts is and always has been what's needed to do an oil change.

6 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I am curious if any one else has, or has seen, one shaped like the one I posted a picture of.  (See above, Wednesday, post # 19.)

That’s just like the dip stick in my 37.

F47D7693-4A33-446A-822E-2FDC6EBAB3FF.jpeg