core - freeze - casting plugs

kencombs

Whatever you call them, the brass version is out of stock in  a lot of places with none expected.  Those that do have them are asking around 3.50 each.  I found a seller on ebay that has them at $1.60ea and reasonable shipping, $5.50 for 5.  Ordered a set.  Search for Melling MEP-14B.

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from brass plugs never rusting they also look nice and shinney when installed........shinney is good........lol.......1&5/16th is the size.....I think......lol............andyd.....

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

Whatever you call them, the brass version is out of stock in  a lot of places with none expected.  Those that do have them are asking around 3.50 each.  I found a seller on ebay that has them at $1.60ea and reasonable shipping, $5.50 for 5.  Ordered a set.  Search for Melling MEP-14B.

Dang, I wish I'd found this source before I paid about $4 each through NAPA a few weeks ago.  Oh well.  I paid that price because, like you, I couldn't find them anywhere else.  The guy at NAPA had to scrounge a bit from his various warehouses to get a set of 10 for me (I got extras in case I screw any of them up during install).

Just to make light of the situation, I'll relate an experience of mine.

I was working on a Model T when I noticed something funny.

The two core plugs were not core plugs at all.

They were Indian Head nickels!

Somebody decades ago needed to replace the core plugs and wanted something that wouldn't rust and didn't want to make a special trip to the auto parts store.

So they reached into their pocket and got a couple of nickels.

I did not remove them as they were domed and now pretty worthless as coins.

I did go and find a couple of new core plugs and they were the exact size of a nickel.

I then made a note to myself never to buy core plugs for a Model T ever again when it was so much cheaper to use money to fill the hole.

• Like 2

I was quickly corrected on the H.A.M.B site by one of the participants that these are not "freeze plugs" but core plugs for removing sediment after casting. I knew this of course but being from the old school, they used to be called freeze plugs which I did from habit. I seemed to recall that at one time, some believed that in the event that the coolant froze in the engine, these plugs would pop out thus saving the block from cracking. I can attest to the fact that this is not true because when I cracked the block in my '37 Oldsmobile in 1955; the plugs remained in place. Hey, I was 13 years old and learned a hard lesson.?

John R

Welch plugs, freeze plugs, core plugs, mongrel bastard things........they have a few names..........lol.........a couple more I won't mention........lol............andyd

7 hours ago, John Reddie said:

I was quickly corrected on the H.A.M.B site by one of the participants that these are not "freeze plugs" but core plugs for removing sediment after casting. I knew this of course but being from the old school, they used to be called freeze plugs which I did from habit. I seemed to recall that at one time, some believed that in the event that the coolant froze in the engine, these plugs would pop out thus saving the block from cracking. I can attest to the fact that this is not true because when I cracked the block in my '37 Oldsmobile in 1955; the plugs remained in place. Hey, I was 13 years old and learned a hard lesson.?

John R

Perhaps you were corrected by a, "pseudo intellectual" ? lol

• Like 1

So long as you don't use Butt plugs then its all good.............lol...............oops...better go back into my corner now........lol.........andyd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1