Question on 1939 DeSoto front Bumpers

desertdroog

Long time since I have posted. I am about done with a model A project that took precedence to my 1941 Plymouth project, so I am gathering parts. Are 1939 DeSoto Bumpers the same as a 1940 DeSoto Bumper? I like the way it conforms and peaks with the front end and wanted to try and find one for my project. From what I can tell online, they look similar, I just wanted to to find out if there are any gotchas in width or bracket placement.

This is rich with the 39 Desoto.  All I can say is that I looked in my 1936-42 Desoto Master parts book and looked under the bumper section.

The 39 front bumper and also the bumper brackets are nt the same number for the 40 and or 41.

So armed with this information I would assume that the answer is NO.

I could measure the width of my braket holes where the bumper botls go throught the bumper.  But I would not have any information on the 40 Desoto bumper.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thank you Rich for the information.

I know it is an odd request to ask about a 39 DeSoto when I was comparing to a 40-41 DeSoto to possibly use on a 41 Plymouth. I guess my second question is, if the placement insn't the same, does the width between a 39 to 40 or 41 DeSoto differ much, at all?

The piece I found is on a 39 DeSoto, it needs repair and a re-chrome, so I would be bringing this piece back from the dead as it sits on a car that is parting out...so I could make it fit if I needed, I just wondered how easy I would get away with this if I tried.

Edited by desertdroog

Do you have the name or phon enumber of the person that is parting out the 39 Desoto?

I do not think the width is that much of a difference it could be the placement of the bolt holes to the bumper bracket assemblies.

Rich

It was an eBay listing. I jumped and bought it because of how rare it is to find this kind of thing. I don't mind making it work as I am just about done with all the chrome on my Model A (I have seen what it takes to make parts look pretty --->$$$). I was hoping that this would have been a part used across multiple years. Kind of like the fenders from 40-41 for Plymouth and Dodge.