Casting date of Plymouth flathead blocks

BobT-47P15

In looking at a Plymouth engine sitting on a stand a few years ago, I noticed what I think is a

casting date for the block.  On the driver's side below the distributor as I recall.  So, along with

the serial number that identifies the car when originally built, the casting number can tell when the

block was produced.   I presume this number was on all blocks produced back then.  The one in the

picture was removed from an early '49 P15 coupe.....so the 1953 date indicates it was a replacement

engine from a later model.  Or....at least that's my best guess.  Just tossing this info out for your reading enjoyment.

Number is 6-2-53    DSC00351.jpg

My understand is that engines could sit in tempering yards stacked out side the casting plant for 2 years or more before getting sent to find all machining and then going to assembly.  So knowing g that one was cat in June of 53 doesn't mean it was used I. 53  or even 54.

The life magazine digitized photo archives featured shots of late 40s and early 50s Detroit had several pics of engine block sitting outside on pallets on the ground or stacked on open racks.  The captions talked about them sitting there for  a year or two.