YOM plate restoration odyssey

lostviking

On 7/31/2020 at 8:03 PM, billrigsby said:

NICE - once it's done I got Plates and Regi  ?

The State of Colorado may not like it...

(10 days to transfer when moving)

but can not find 1948 CO Plates.

Oh Well  ?

did you check ebay? Here's one for only $20 plus shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1948-Colorado-License-Plate-tag/193606987785?hash=item2d13e03009:g:-3EAAOSwOKpfJcE5

Another for $36...https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1948-Colorado-silver-black-LICENSE-PLATE-unrestored/392741277075?hash=item5b71344d93:g:JL0AAOSwdHteZ9UX

Edited by lostviking

4 hours ago, lostviking said:

I don't even know if eBay was around in 1987 when I first register my vehicle. But you are required to have both a front and rear plate in California and Colorado or they will not allow you to use them. And I don't even know for sure if Colorado has YOM program.

Also Colorado truck plates actually say TRK on them, those look to be passenger car plates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 5:02 PM, John-T-53 said:

A little historical note, in 1945 we were in hard times....despite winning the war, materials were in short supply, and perhaps the same went for paint pigments that were an actual "color" as well. Thus the austerity of the 1945 tags. This plate is of historical significance and I'm happy to see it receive such a deserving restoration!

Colorado 48 plates are aluminum, from what I've been told, due to lack of steel after the war.

Very hard to find a pair of CO 48 Truck plates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, lostviking said:

I waited the 48 hours between any time I broke the surface and the next painting. I'm on my fifth layer of clear over the white. I sprayed several coats of white today, and all five layers of clear, waiting 15 mins between layers. Now I'm going to let it sit 48 hours before I continue. That will be several coats of black, at 15 min intervals.

After that I'll carefully wet sand through the black over the letters.

I'll give the plate a nice couple coats of clear to give it a protective gloss finish.

I have read this over a few times, Just started mine.

Wondering a couple of things.....

Where did you find this technique, seems so simple and foolproof vs. masking or hand painting?

Do you know the reasoning for the clear and is it "white, clear, white, clear, etc or white, white, clear, clear? I am thinking white, white, clear, clear

My base will have to be black, ready to start just want to be clear of the order.

Hope they come out half as good as yours.

I repainted a license plate more than 12 years ago.I'm not that artistic and I found this method quite simple. After stripping and cleaning the plate, I used "Tremclad" rattle can paint, (same as Rustoleum) to paint the entire plate the colour of the letters.After drying a couple of days,I sprayed the background colour using Tremclad. While the paint had dried to the touch but not completely cured I carefully removed the backgound paint covering the letters using a thin cotton cloth wrapped tightly around a finger, dampened with varsol (not dripping wet )  .This is the result. I didn't bother spraying a clear coat While it wouldn't pass the inspection of a plate collector, it looks okay to me...BTW, forum member, @ greg g , outlined the same method for license plate restoration in a post dated Jan 24 2010... Also, used oil based

1332700908_ManitobaLicensePlate.jpg.e4845e3e2a3005dbb14e21c05dea7a0b.jpg

Edited by T120
added oil based

Found that old post, put it all in Word - I'll look at it a bit later - Supper Time!

Thanks

23 hours ago, T120 said:

I repainted a license plate more than 12 years ago.I'm not that artistic and I found this method quite simple. After stripping and cleaning the plate, I used "Tremclad" rattle can paint, (same as Rustoleum) to paint the entire plate the colour of the letters.After drying a couple of days,I sprayed the background colour using Tremclad. While the paint had dried to the touch but not completely cured I carefully removed the backgound paint covering the letters using a thin cotton cloth wrapped tightly around a finger, dampened with varsol (not dripping wet )  .This is the result. I didn't bother spraying a clear coat While it wouldn't pass the inspection of a plate collector, it looks okay to me...BTW, forum member, @ greg g , outlined the same method for license plate restoration in a post dated Jan 24 2010... Also, used oil based

I found the old post interesting and some good info and links.

Not sure about the solvent vs wet sanding methods.

Also not sure still about the 'clear' layers, but as posted in my plate thread

that is the route I will go. Do not trust my hand/solvent.  ?

Ready for character color this week.  ?

• Like 1