adjust steering box on 49 coupe

dave2

That "nut" on the top center of the steering box is actually a cover for the adjustment screw.  Take that off, there is a star washer under it (that you can just make out in the photo) that keeps the adjustment stud/screw in place, take that off, too.  Then adjust as needed.  This raises / lowers the sector shaft gear to change how it meshes with the steering shaft worm gear.  Then replace items in reverse order. 

I recently finished overhauling a Gemmer (Ingersoll Machine in Canada) steering gear from a 1952-56 F100 and modified to fit a Model A Ford.

They're basically the same design. The worm (mounted on the steering wheel shaft) is mounted in tapered roller bearings which are adjusted with gasket shims on the lower cover. If you put too much preload on the bearings the car steers with a lot of effort. Too little and there's slop in the steering. Assuming the steering gear was put together correctly then the top adjustment works very well to take up any wear in the gears. On a 60-70 year old car I would expect to see wear and a sector seal that's dry out and leaked. A good winter project might be to remove it and a have a look at things.  I'd be curious to know if new gears and bearings are available. Cars in the early 1950s wandered a little and had big steering wheels to give the driver enough leverage to park them easily. Just watch an old movie and you'll see how much drivers moved the steering wheel normally.