1950 Dodge Help

Noah H

Hello all, 

I hope everyone is staying warm wherever they are at. Weather is pretty nasty here. I braved the cold and worked on my car a little before spring and leaving for college. I am exited to be attending Mcpherson, KS to continue working to keep our passion rolling Being involved in the 4 year Automotive Restoration working on Model Ts to Duesenbergs, they are one of the best in the nation. 

I have some questions concerning mufflers and transmission parts. 

To start, My muffler is completely roached, It is time to replace. The flathead 6 has been overhauled to bone stock and I would like to get a good sound out of it. Being a teen loudness does not bother me. In fact I want to lean towards a more aggressive deep sound. But one I can still hear a conversation while I am driving or not waking the town up on a late night cruise. Any help, opinions, insight would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for dual exhaust at this time. 

My transmission also started making a whining noise while depressing the pedal. I have replaced the throw out bearing 2 years ago and to my surprise when I dropped the trans and found out the the bearing was hard, stiff and had lots of play, I was disappointed. How might one go about this problem? Surely a throw out bearing should last more than a year. 

Thank you 

Noah

Look for a bearing that uses a design called angular contact. As to which manufacturer, try talking with the companies making clutches. I believe the TO bearings used in the old cars like ours are similar to the muscle car era mopars...

I have attached a copy of a page from the federal throwout bearing and refer to the list.  If you do a search on ebay you might find the correct bearing and assembly.  Buy NOS and I say old made USA parts not the newere jap and Chineese parts aftermarket they do not last.

Just click on the attachment there are 2 pages of data. Hope this helps.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Federal Clutch thow out bearing.docx

Edited by desoto1939
  • Thanks 1