49 coupe split exhaust manifold

dave2

Does the metal assembly between the outlets rotate?  There is a flap in there that may or may not still exist.  Can you rotate it to it's fully clockwise?  That is the position that allows gasses to pass through the chamber and not be directed towards the heat chamber in the intake.  The rear dump is the stock location.

Rotate it as far as it will go clockwise and secure it there with a spring or piece of wire, then you can cap the front outlet.  The flap is used to direct hot exhaust to a chamber under the carb to help keep the air fuel mix in suspension on cold days.  Of you only operate your car in the warmer months you should not have any problems.  I have min with the flap removed and a piece of thin stainless steel separating the two manifolds and have had no problem even on 20 deg F days.

I would take advantage of the split manifold and and put on dual exhaust. It helps the engine breath, as the rear cylinder has basically no back pressure and loads at the front. I had the manifold cut on my '38 Dodge 218 and she works very nice, the heat riser area was cut out and I have never had issues with cold running even in below freezing temperatures. I will probably do the same to my '51 Dodge truck when I locate a spare exhaust manifold.

3 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I would take advantage of the split manifold and and put on dual exhaust. It helps the engine breath, as the rear cylinder has basically no back pressure and loads at the front. I had the manifold cut on my '38 Dodge 218 and she works very nice, the heat riser area was cut out and I have never had issues with cold running even in below freezing temperatures. I will probably do the same to my '51 Dodge truck when I locate a spare exhaust manifold.

I have to agree. A split manifold or headers with dual exhaust is the single biggest change you can make with a bolt-on to these motors. It transforms the car.