Quick tailgate question 1955 C series

Rjpond

This winter I’ve been working on my tailgate. I’ve welded a piece of 1.25 steel tubing across the entire  bottom length of the tailgate. The two outer hinge brackets fit inside the pipe and fasten to the bed’s side panels. That’s easy to figure out, however, the original bottom pipe has rusted away and we are trying to figure out the center bracket

My welder friend and I disagree. He thinks that we should cut a  4 inch length out of the 1.25 pipe where the center hinge bracket would attach to the bed. Then he wants to slide a 10 inch piece of smaller diameter tubing inside the 1.25 tubing to fill the cut out area of 4 inches. The center hinge bracket would then  loosely lay over the smaller diameter pipe.

I’m thinking keep it simple and not cut anything, we would just place the center bracket over the 1.25 tubing . The bracket would be a bit tight to hinge freely but I could put a shim under where the center bracket attaches below the tail gate.

I’m just wondering how the original set up was?

Not sure how much this helps, but here's a picture of my '54 tailgate and hinge.  It doesn't look there's any bump down in the tubing where the hinge goes.  If needed I'll try to get a pic of the tailgate alone since it's in storage right now.

20190127_103638-2.jpg

10 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

if memory serves.....no bump down...tailgates are all pretty much the same maybe into the 60'?s...some reference in the below picture.

2015-11-01 12.34.33.jpg

really glad you got that short one off the wall - it looked so out of place

couple of closer shots of another tailgate. There IS a "step down", but not likely as thought.  Just how the assembly had to be made.  Outer wrap piece around a filler.

20200123_194621.jpg.9deedf60cd7c74a7d768a31b77ac2b7f.jpg20200123_194629.jpg.7ffd0a1cf41878946e90137b1f3af8f6.jpg

All very good information, thank you. Now it looks as if a filler tube is used. Great information on this site!!

I’m envious of all those tailgates hanging in your shop. I had a tough time trying to find a replacement tailgate that was in good shape and affordable. I’m happy, however, with my decision to put the time in and salvage the one on my truck.

• Like 2