Source for Parts

Gear Grinder

IMHO, I would pop the cap, make a mental note where rotor is pointing, where the vacuum advance is pointing, then pull the distributor to work on it.

Is real simple to put back in.

Trying to bend over the fender and stand on your head to install points is no longer fun for me.

Now you can clean and inspect the insides, oil the advance plate, replace the ground wire inspect the operation of the vacuum advance etc.

Including take it to the auto parts store to match up the points. Or at least you can get the number off it to order your own points.

fwiw, I took mine to the local parts store, a small town parts + store. Charlie is pretty sharp and looked up the dist # and was surprised when he went to the back and returned with the box of points with correct part number. And condenser.

The points were wrong, they were backwards compared to the points I have installed in the dist.

I think the auto parts store had the wrong part in the box.

May be possible someone changed the points plate in my dist and now I need points for a different model number? Not even sure if that's possible.

But you get my point  :D is so much easier to work on dist with it out of vehicle.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Los_Control said:

IMHO, I would pop the cap, make a mental note where rotor is pointing, where the vacuum advance is pointing, then pull the distributor to work on it.

Is real simple to put back in.

Trying to bend over the fender and stand on your head to install points is no longer fun for me.

Now you can clean and inspect the insides, oil the advance plate, replace the ground wire inspect the operation of the vacuum advance etc.

Including take it to the auto parts store to match up the points. Or at least you can get the number off it to order your own points.

fwiw, I took mine to the local parts store, a small town parts + store. Charlie is pretty sharp and looked up the dist # and was surprised when he went to the back and returned with the box of points with correct part number. And condenser.

The points were wrong, they were backwards compared to the points I have installed in the dist.

I think the auto parts store had the wrong part in the box.

May be possible someone changed the points plate in my dist and now I need points for a different model number? Not even sure if that's possible.

But you get my point  :D is so much easier to work on dist with it out of vehicle.

There are 2 options for the points,one arcs left and one arcs right. Depending on distributor model. 
i looked them up on rock auto to identify which ones i needed. 

The resources section of this web page has a list of vendors.  Fur tune up parts you need the number off the tag on the dist starts with three letters IGA, IAT are typical but there are others.  Caps and internal parts are specific to those numbers.  Don't order without knowing which you have.  New points are mostly offshore junk these days, unless yours are completely toast, II would decent old ones to what are current.  Last good ones I got came from a car quest jobber.