1949 Plymouth Engine Identity Help

Cat Whisker

HI and hello to everyone. Many thanks for adding me to this forum. So far I have found answers to many questions concerning my "Money Pit". My late husband drove home a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe over a year ago and it has sat in the pole barn every since. I was going to sell it, but have decided to restore it, not to a show car but a good looking daily driver. It did start right off again (battery charge) and after 30+ miles, I got it into the garage and managed to remove the hood. So far I have found/purchased most of the replacement trim pieces, lens, seals, etc. I can use most all tools. In the past, I worked on many muscle cars with my husband including engine rebuilds, body work, tranny/rear end overhauls and have access to mig welder, gas torch, large metal lathe, sand blaster, gunk tank, and most every shop tool.

Working on this 49 Plymouth (P-18) is a definite learning curve, for me anyway. I found the engine number on the block which is D42-I86500. Again that is D42- (the letter I)86500.

If anyone can assist with helping me identify the engine and anything about it, I would really appreciate it.

1. What is the engine size?

2. What is the engine from?

Currently I know I will need an oil pan as the one on it was used to either grade dirt roads or a test bed for ball peen hammers. Does anyone know of a replacement and where to get one? A new, aftermarket or good used one would be great.

Many, many thanks in advance. Sincerely Michele.

DSC03598.JPG

The D42 engine is from a 1951-52 Dodge car. Displacement is 230 cubic inches.

As for the oil pan....advertise maybe here in the want ad section..Your oil pan most likely will have front and rear internal oil slosh baffles in it.

Cheaper line engines don't.

Any 1946-54 Plymouth or Dodge oil pan will fit...make sure the new replacement one looks the same...

Your oil pan is the same fit for all the 23" long Plymouth and Dodge engines 1946-54.

A common oil pan to find used...not new.