1948 plymouth instrument wiring

Chris.c41

Hi everyone, I have a 41 plymouth business coupe with a 48 instrument panel, my car has been converted to 12v and has a powergen and electric fuel pump. I took the speedometer cluster out couple of weeks ago to paint the dash, I labelled where the wires went, but my little daughter loves pranking her dad and pulled all the labels off, im not the worlds greatest mechanic and even worse when it comes to electrical things. My question is this,when looking at the back of the instrument cluster what two wires connect to the two connections behind the amps gauge? If someone could send me a pic of where all the wires connect to that would be great. At the moment i have ignition so car turns over but have no lights, no fuel pump and no gas reading, I did paint the housing the dashcluster fits into but have now sanded off parts of the paint to get a better connection. Have included a couple of pictures 

20200120_124321.jpg

14 minutes ago, Chris.c41 said:

Hi everyone, I have a 41 plymouth business coupe with a 48 instrument panel, my car has been converted to 12v and has a powergen and electric fuel pump. I took the speedometer cluster out couple of weeks ago to paint the dash, I labelled where the wires went, but my little daughter loves pranking her dad and pulled all the labels off, im not the worlds greatest mechanic and even worse when it comes to electrical things. My question is this,when looking at the back of the instrument cluster what two wires connect to the two connections behind the amps gauge? If someone could send me a pic of where all the wires connect to that would be great. At the moment i have ignition so car turns over but have no lights, no fuel pump and no gas reading, I did paint the housing the dashcluster fits into but have now sanded off parts of the paint to get a better connection. Have included a couple of pictures 

20200120_124321.jpg

gallery_6251_10_1359568715_523.jpg

Thanks my friend, I downloaded that diagram, but I seem to have some disability when it comes to wiring diagrams, I know I probably sound like a total idiot to most of you, but I just cant work out anything on diagrams like that. I need a picture like i posted. Im constantly embarrassed of how little I know about anything mechanical and struggle with the simplest things ?

Chris.........I see you have the aftermarket Parking brake, those holes in it signify that its the lightweight Nascar Parking Brake..........with that number plate I guess you're in the UK or Europe.........I like 41's too..........does my arse look too big in this pic.............lol.............Welcome Aboard from Oz..........regards, andyd   

IMG_1363.JPG

unfortunately, with the old and faded wiring going back all those years, a picture will do you little good, and as the harness is bundled, tracing it point to point can only be done at this late date by reading the schematic.  If you have problems with schematics, I would suggest you get a person familiar explain the routing and numbering point to point so you can tackle this, otherwise, it may be best to let a knowledgeable friend/shop assist you.

You didn't mention that you had re-wired the dash , so your old wires would still have the correct length and curves to line up with all of the terminals . If you get the two wires reversed on the amp gauge , no problem , just switch them around . If the amp gauge wires are reversed , the gauge reads backwards . 

Gauge cluster connections.  Using above drawing as the source.  Disclaimer here, the supplied drawing gets fuzzy when  blow it up enough to see.

Temp gauge - mechanical, no wiring.  The one in this picture will have to be replaced because someone cut the probe tube.

Oil pressure - mechanical, you should have a small metal tube with a nut that screws into this.  Get it tight or it will leak oil.

Light - you should have two sockets that snap into those, best time for new bulbs.

Fuel gauge -
    top left blue wire
    top right black and yellow wire
    these two go back to the fuel sending unit.    
    bottom blue (different blue from top left)  You may need to sort out which blue goes to the sender

Speedometer - big cable screws on to this, should have a square tipped inner cable that seats inside.

Ammeter -
    left two brown wires and a black wire
    right one red wire

guage.jpg

Edited by Sniper