Glass installers

JSabah

I live in LA. Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. :lol: I can't recommend a glass installer in your LA but I had a good one here. It is also important to have a shop manual that shows/tells how to do the installation. When they put my back window in the younger installers said they knew how to do it but did not follow what the shop manual said. They could not get the window gasket installed properly. The big boss then came around and he likes working on the old cars. He followed the shop manual and had the glass, gasket, and stainless trim on within 10 minutes. He then did the two piece front window just about as quickly...………….following the manual.

Good luck. There's got to be someone in your LA who can do the job.

JSabah,

Its easy to do yourself if you have the Rubber and Glass. Just follow your Service Manual Instructions. It is a one man job with a couple of 2" x 4"'s cut just right to prop the Glass against from the front seat to prepare yourself to pull the string around the rubber from the outside for a easy peasy install. Honest.

Tom

After reading the manual, I may give it a go.  Question ...molded rubber no longer seems to be available... or at least I didnt get one from AB (mine is a long strip) - where do you put the joint? top center? lower center? elsewhere? 

Looks like Steele has it as part number 40-0304-50

You also need a tube or two of 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound. This stuff is black and seals the gasket to the body and the glass to the gasket. You make a mess using it, and clean it off using turpentine or mineral spirits so as to not hurt the paint. Once you start driving it, it will ooze out for a month and you need to wipe it down now and then. In a few weeks it will stop and everything will seal very nice.

I used this technique, and the shop manual is a must, on my 1947 Desoto Suburban 15 years ago and no leaks, on my 1949 Convertible, no leaks, and my friends 1946 Chrysler Town and Country Convertible with no leaks.

James

1 minute ago, James_Douglas said:

Looks like Steele has it as part number 40-0304-50

You also need a tube or two of 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound. This stuff is black and seals the gasket to the body and the glass to the gasket. You make a mess using it, and clean it off using turpentine or mineral spirits so as to not hurt the paint. Once you start driving it, it will ooze out for a month and you need to wipe it down now and then. In a few weeks it will stop and everything will seal very nice.

I used this technique, and the shop manual is a must, on my 1947 Desoto Suburban 15 years ago and no leaks, on my 1949 Convertible, no leaks, and my friends 1946 Chrysler Town and Country Convertible with no leaks.

James

I was just double checking steele when you posted this .... Thanks. Ordered.