Car-itis Interuptus

Ulu

Hey You guys...

It's been over two years since I logged in here last, and lots has happened. Unfortunately, exactly nothing has happened to the P15 except new rust.

Well, I did push it around on its cart, but not one wrench has been turned in this time.

So I can't recall where I left off in my ranting and pontificating, but my mom passed away, wife broke her knee, my wife and I have both retired, traveled a bit, and started working on the house.

I had quit flying but then had eye surgery. I see OK now and am a crack shot at 200 yds.  I was going to resume flying, but my flying partner lost his medical so I never have. Instead I resumed target shooting.

A lot of remodeling has been done to the house and property since my wife retired, and all this left no time for my hobby cars (or aircraft!)  Discovering some termites extended the duration of the remodeling, and we spent a lot on appliances and landscaping. I've been re-arranging my garage and planning a shop. 

I joined the local rifle club and started shooting a lot. I had quit when I got out of college in '75, and never owned more than one piece in all that time, but my flying buddy got a firearms license and I started fixing old guns. I recently bought a .308 Ruger Precision and I've been tuning that up. I've been teaching my wife and grandkids to shoot .22s and .38s.

Due to the market boom it looks like I will be able to afford a new workshop and carport, and I might be able to hire out the whole construction. I've been waiting for the new shop to get back on the Plymouth, and as soon as I straighten up my garage a bit more and fix the clutch on my motorcycle I'll get the workshop going. By fall, I should finally have inside workspace for Edith d' Plymouth.

In the nonce I've taken stock of what I want to do, and I've decided that if I want a restored P15 I will just buy one. Mine was built from parts of other cars and can never really be restored. I've decided that if I'm going to work on this car it will be a full custom job, and I'm pretty much decided on a 2-passenger roadster. I have 3 other vehicles with roofs. I want to cut this one off. 

2015 and 2020:

DSCF7195.JPG

DSCF8203.JPG

Looks like the future is looking bright for you and your wife!

And "Edith" will have a nice new home too.

Enjoy your retirement too.

I retired a year and a half ago...but am always very busy working on the cars and other projects.

Good luck to you?

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 2:40 AM, pflaming said:

No skate boarding plans? Let’s do lunch again. Welcome back. 

Hey there Paul,

Since my wife broke her knee she couldn't chase me on the bike, so I've only been riding when the grandkids come over for birthdays.

Except for the youngest two, they're all driving and starting college now, so their interest in skating has vanished. Mine is improving again, however I have put on some 15 lbs and will be fighting to loose it.

So is the Plymouth wagon roadworthy now? It's probably been 4 years since I saw it in the garage. The pickup was almost together....

59 minutes ago, Ulu said:

So is the Plymouth wagon roadworthy now? It's probably been 4 years since I saw it in the garage. The pickup was almost together....

I have an appointment with CHP on Wednesday and an appointment on Thursday for a cortisone shot in one knee. Following that an appointment regarding a cataract and an adjustment on my hearing aid. The cut on my hand has healed. For those and other reasons, my shop efficiency has dropped off. 

D1B58855-9F98-4F91-9885-A9A5EF9ACA68.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

No major injuries for me. I just got discouraged working on the Plymouth. I just didn't expect to see such major body flaws when I stripped it.

I've been fishing more, and because the eye surgery has improved my sight so much, I've been spending a lot of time with the rifle club. I put together a reloading bench, and just did lots of work remodeling and fixing up the yard. We managed to put in a nice shed, and patio etc, but no shop for me yet.

That big hole was a tin fireplace with fan in a stucco chimney. The fan circuit now runs the aquariums which replaced the fireplace/chimney. I shored up the trusses from inside, as termites had eaten into the old fireplace header.  That's me in my official and really clean engineer's hardhat, after termite abatement (bleach treatments.)

We re-roofed that asphalt region under the A/C, and filled in the framing where the chimney was.

Screenshot_20190529-115335_resized.png

20190529_121122_resized.jpg

15162_resized.jpeg

20190528_091042.jpg

• Like 1

So now there are aquariums indoors and out, there.

125g.jpg.cd110842143a9f1b161624492a466276.jpg

The patio aquarium, and insulated sump below, serving both indoor and outdoor tanks.

copy1.jpg.e88cc1f9833477f6bcc9ccd3c7302979.jpg

For the winter, I dolled it up in Styrofoam and white duct tape. There's a greenhouse on top for the ivy.

Little glass windows are from old cracked aquariums.

odt.jpg.dd61cbca2f32bea3066411cf1bc5e4de.jpg

A pic of me at the shotgun range, testing some buck & ball loads.

alleycad.jpg.e9c1a930846a4e204ac897a7b7c97c6e.jpg

Edited by Ulu

• 2 weeks later...