52 Plymouth Dipstick Location

ChrisMinelli

Hello, sorry for the simple question.  Where on a flat six Plymouth engine (1952 Cranbrook) would you find the dipstick and the oil fill cap?  I can’t believe it wouldn’t have one — the manual has a drawing of it — but mine doesn’t have anything that looks like it. 

Thanks in advance!

Snipers pic shows the dipstick which in the one pictured is going into a tube that sticks up about 6" from the engine block BUT there are some models that have a very short dipstick that goes straight into the dipstick tubes hole in the block, that is they do not have a tube and can be hard to see...........either one maybe present, I'm not sure when the change was made............and the oil filler is indeed via the oil breather, and should just come off with some gentle screwing and pulling.......lol.........also when its replaced the holes in the breather cap should face the firewall as this helps with enabling the engine draft tube on the intake/exhaust side of the engine to work............Welcome aboard from Oz........andyd     

Plymouthy............you can pull..............I'll screw.............oops........wrong thread............lol............I think he got the message.........lol...........andyd 

• Haha 1

Some engines used a dipstick which went directly to a hole in the block with no tube, plus there were several different tube lengths and stick lengths tomadd to the confusion.  Trace the return line from the oil filter down to the block.  The hole for the stick or the remains of the tube should be just ahead or behind where the line fitting screws in.

Don't really need a dip stick. Wait till the oil pressure waves at you going around turns, coming to a hard stop, or under brisk acceleration.  Add a half quart and drive till the gauge waves again...

• Like 1

I prefer a tube that sticks up out of the block. On blocks that have no tube if that welch plug right over the opening begins to weep or drip , the coolant will gather around the dip stick and follow it down in the block. Of course that means it time to replace the plug, but I've saw dipsticks rusty as an old plow from a leaking plug.