did 49 business coupes come with inside rear window trim?

dave2

my car doesn't have the rear window trim that covers the headliner....i was looking at some trim on ebay and noticed it had holes to mount it...on my car i see no holes.i'm wondering if my car ever had it....did business coupes have rear window trim?

Dave.....in the 2nd pic in post # 4....just below the metalwork that is the remains of the interior light bracketry there is a very small hole in the edge of the window frame which I am pretty sure is one of the window garnish molding screw holes..........as far as I am aware all mopars came with inside window garnish moldings on all models in all years.......its just not something that would have been even an optional piece as it would have been too much of a fiddly job to attach or not on the production line whereas other optional things would have been less of a problem or a dealer instal item............therefore all cars got the moldings.........andyd  

I'm pretty sure Andydodge has it right. I have included two pictures of the rear window moulding (trim) in my business coupe. As you can see there is a screw (all these screws are specialty screws as they are stainless steel and have a convex head) just below the interior light. There are a total of 14 screws holding it in place. Five on the top and bottom and two on left and right sides. Holes for these screws can be very close to the rubber. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so hopefully these help.

Also, if you buy some trim make sure it is for a business coupe. Business coupe rear windows are a different size, larger I believe, than the sedans.

IMG_1733.JPG.c9629565f393d86acc29560db956fdce.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG.7f870607eee0b1688b7fd00135e08377.JPG

Edited by RobertKB

It is also interesting that your headliner appears to held in place by being between the rubber and the metal where the screwholes should be. My business coupe is not like that and the rear window did not need to be taken out to install the headliner, although it was removed for painting. It was reinstalled long before the interior was done. The '53 Plymouth in the background has had the headliner replaced and the rear window had to come out for that but it still has a rear window moulding trim as well. (This is incorrect and I have corrected it in a later thread. There is no moulding trim on the '53 rear window). The '48 in the background also has a new headliner and it fits the same way my '51 and your '49 should fit. A bit of an enigma. As mentioned you may not have an original gasket. If you do not have a shop manual for your car, it would be worth investing in one. It explains exactly how a headliner should be replaced.

Assuming you are in the southern USA based on the vegetation and the older Chev Impala in the picture so also assuming your car is American made.

Edited by RobertKB

As mentioned above, I was wrong is explaining the rear window in my '53 Plymouth. There is no rear window moulding trim and the headliner is held between the rubber gasket and the surrounding metal, most likely as in your car. Your headliner certainly appears to be held in place that way. This was a new way of installing a headliner in '53 and the rear window must be removed to replace the headliner. A silly question, but are you sure your car is a '49? We have not seen a picture of the car and perhaps you were told it was a '49 when in fact it isn't. They did make a business coupe in '53. A picture of the car would help clarify things.

I have included some pictures of my '53 rear window.

Incidentally, the front window also had to be removed in my '53 to install the headliner but the front window definitely does have the metal trim moulding around the inside of window.

Sorry for any confusion.

DSCN0201.JPG.260ec9192382fd06b6dd9285f41fb34d.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG.e4fbc00414417f7d6a95c3d54ee9069f.JPG

DSCN0203.JPG.c4d3dd75f7aeddc1a4c764c9326b5873.JPG

Edited by RobertKB

I have assumed it's a Plymouth. What make is it? Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler? I ask because the shape of the  window looks different to the other business coupe windows pictured. Still like to see a picture of the car. 

Edited by RobertKB

Robert.............thanks for the pic of the no rear window molding setup......I've see this in mid 50's onwards cars but not in 1940's which the OP car is supposedly tho' as mentioned a pic of the car will help......I've seen a few times, of cars mislabelled due to incorrect serial numbers, etc so its interesting but always good to learn something new each day...........andyd  

• 3 weeks later...