1942 Plymouth P14C Owners

Rustydodge46

Welcome friend, 

This is a thread specifically for the 1942 Plymouth P14C war cut vehicle.  If you currently or previously owned one, please post a photo and introduce yourself below. 

If you're on Facebook you can also join the exclusive Facebook group, "1942 Plymouth P14C club" here https://www.facebook.com/groups/496566131163408/ .

This thread and group was created because let's face it, these beauties are fairly rare. We would like to find and gather as many owner's together world wide to scope how many survivers there still are.

Mine is pictured here. It's a rare club coupe 'special deluxe'.  It is in Australia ? yes, a long way from home. 

For all other Mopar lovers come over to Facebook group, "Classic Mopar - Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, DeSoto" here https://www.facebook.com/groups/163789344439090/ 

Look forward to hearing and sharing, stories, photos, memories, rides and parts for sale etc 

kind regards, 

Russell aka @Rustydodge46

??

SmartSelect_20190901-203057_Photos.jpg

Rusty.........curious about your car being a Club Coupe as it has the short roof body shell that was the only Plymouth Coupe body in 1940/41 but was then joined in 1942 by a longer roofed "Club Coupe" that had longer rear side windows and an almost full size rear seat......Plymouth in 1940/41 only had the one type of Coupe  body shell, which was the short roofed coupe  and had the ASC or Auxillary Seat Coupe with a pair of small folding rear seats which offered occaisonal rear seating, without these folding rear seats this short roofed coupe was indeed a Business Coupe in 1940/41   .........the short roof such as your cars continued onto 1948 as the Business Coupe with just a single bench seat...........as mentioned from 1942 to 1948 the Club Coupe was either listed as a 4 or 6 seater.............the attached pic shows what the 1940/41 ASC rear seats looked like.......if you look closely you can see the steel bar that supports the front edge of the passenger seat...................andyd.       

IMG_1531.JPG

@Andydodge unless someones rebadged it it's a P14C.  It does have the springs and frame for a small rear seat, I'll try get some pics tomorrow.  The front seat is split and folds just like yours. The whole interior trim needs doing and lets down the whole car thus I have near to no photos of it.

Screenshot_20200117-193632_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200117-193123_Gallery.jpg

Rusty...........interesting Data plate.........I've never seen any Data plate that has the year of the car stamped into it, also under the 6 numbers stamped into the top left side, it appears to say"reg no"..........a term I've never seen nor heard used in any way by USA companies.........and 1942 Mopars are very rare here in Oz.............I've seen a 1942 Plymouth Convertible on the way back from the 1975 Street Rod Nationals held in Naranderra......the 42 Plymouth was in a paddock beside a house in either Young or Cowra , it was a pale blue colour and Flynns Wrecking Yard in Cooma had a 1942 Dodge 4Dr Sedan for years, tho' I think its finally found an owner in the past 2-3 yrs.........these are the only 2 1942 Mopars I had known of until your blue 1942 Coupe started appearing for sale on Oz Ebay maybe 4-5 years ago......it started off around 15-18K but I recollect that its price dropped down as low as 12-13K.......it at the time was located somewhere in central country NSW.........looking forward to pics...........regards, andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Nice car...Interesting the serial no. 9835367 is on the data plate. Serial numbers of 1942 Plymouth P14's  built in Canada were, 9829856 to 9836986...

Rusty.....what makes me curious is that I've never seen a FACTORY Data plate like that.............it looks like something that an Oz rego department would require to be made and attached rather than a factory plate.......all the factory plates I've seen in person and especially on here via pics show a much smaller plate with nowhere near the same amount of info nor the way its noted and the plates are always SCREWED onto the body.......the use of rivets makes me think that its an Oz rego dept thing ....the use of "Reg No" and the car year just does not look correct for a factory plate which is why I am questioning it plus the stamping of "club coupe" appears to use the numeric "8" instead of "B"  in "club"...........don't get me wrong.....its definately a 1942 model Plymouth and a Coupe at that, I'm just curious as to its actually being a Club Coupe with that short roof body shell......the "Canada" stamp on the chassis may or may not provide the answer......I'm gunna recheck a few references I have.............hey............I'm not knocking the car at all..........I sold my 41 Coupe like a fool 6yrs ago and regret it every time I see a 40-48 Plymouth short roof coupe of any persuasion, just trying to understand what mother mopar and others down thru the years have done..........still got the Oz 40 Dodge Sedan after 48 years..........lol........ ....Andy Douglas   

3 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

...I sold my 41 Coupe like a fool 6yrs ago and regret it every time I see a 40-48 Plymouth short roof coupe of any persuasion, just trying to understand what mother mopar and others down thru the years have done..........still got the Oz 40 Dodge Sedan after 48 years..........lol........ ....Andy Douglas   

Hey Andy, there is a '40s Dodge and a Chrysler (even your favourite Ford as well) coupes for sale on Oz ebay at the moment....?

Also interesting is that the engine no. (motor no.) appears on the  data plate. Is this the engine number presently fitted on the car? forum member,   @B-Watson has  a lot of historical information on Chrysler vehicles..?

Edited by T120

Yup that was probably it on ebay. I saw it on Facebook. @T120 It has Canada stamped on the rear left rail! ? Its definitely been a bit of an enigma. Ive had lots of opinions but cant argue with the plates

UPDATE! There's a plate in the engine bay that's unreadable.  See pic, then it gets even more interesting! 

Screenshot_20200118-142711_Gallery.jpg

@Andydodge @T120 @B-Watson 

I'm thoroughly confused now.

Here I was, satisfied in thinking my coupe was Canadian built but then where does this brass VIN plate come in, seemingly from Mexico? Is it an official replacement of the plate pictured in the engine bay that's unreadable? Rebadged? 

Here's what I've been able to get off of it.

•VIN Plate ( located rear right door jamb) ~ stamped ~ 
Secretaria de Hacienda Y Credito Publico
Direction de Registra Federal de Automoviles
REG NO. 235 406     
MARCA. Plymouth 
MODELO. 1942
NO MOTOR. P14C 44856
TIPO. Club Coupe
NO SERIE. 9835367

•plate (firewall)
MODEL. P14C3PCPE
Body. 145
PAINT CODE. 1222
TRIM CODE. ANR

Serial plate (front right door jamb)

Thoughts? I searched Direction de Registra Federal de Automoviles and some book on mexican cartel came up lol

Screenshot_20200118-142912_Gallery.jpg

LoL!!!!!  Yep, you are correct, definitely an enigma.

I would guess that this car has had a stint in Mexico and that plate is a Mexican registration plate placed there when registered there.

VIN numbers and plates didn't arrive until the mid/late 60's......Rusty, the oval painted over plate in post # 10 is the original Plymouth plate that was screen printed or some such method in red with either the body or serial number stamped into it......as for that Data Plate I would bet that its a non Plymouth plate attached by the Mexican govt or some such thing.......andyd  

There is/was a 1942 DeSoto RHD 4dr sedan in Australia that belonged to a member of the National DeSoto Club. I'm not sure if he is still living. Also 15 years back or so, I knew a guy who immigrated from California to Australia (maybe NZ) who was a rodder. He was making a project car that had the front clip from the 42 DeSoto (the rest of the car I have) and it was on I think a Chrysler. Lost track of the guy but if the car is on the rodder show circuit down under there are probably pictures.

Here is a page from the Spanish version of the 42 DeSoto Export brochure.

200 dpi page 10.jpg

By 1942 Oz had been at war for two & half years and as far as I am aware no 1942 model cars were produced here, the last made were variations of 1941 models, I have personally seen a couple of 1941 Plymouth 4dr sedans as well as a few 1941 Utes that appear to have been ordered by the Oz Army and were both Plymouth and DeSoto badged .......the ones I've seen have 41 Plymouth front sheetmetal with Plymouth or DeSoto grilles, headlights & badging with a large reinforced "sunroof" that was apparently for viewing out of or had a machine gun mount.........an easy way to tell whether the 1940 to 1948 vehicle is an Australian assembled or imported car, assuming its a 4dr sedan as thats all the civilian market here got ,is to note whether the front doors have external door hinges..........if yes then its an Oz assembled car with an Oz body by T J Richards......internal door hinges makes it an imported vehicle........if the car is a 2door, coupe, convertible or wagon in general terms it should be an imported car as none of these body styles were supposedly made by the Oz Chrysler assemblers, T J Richards, except for a few Dodge & Plymouth Coupes made from 4dr Sedans in 1940 only.....the Dodge one pictured on the trailer was my 1940 Dodge Coupe from 1969 to the mid 1980's...the blue car is a Plymouth, pic taken in the 1970's and is now a turquoise colour with a non stock rumble seat..........andyd.         

DodgeCoupePics1.jpg

• 10 months later...