1953 Plymouth 218 Carb issue

Gear Grinder

Strange carb..

Is there a name or any ID number on that carb anywhere?  It looks to be cast iron, which was common on agricultural machines.  Mopar supplied engines to some combine and even tractor makers, as well as airport tugs. 

As far as a replacement, the Holley mentioned earlier is good.  A compatible model was used on AMC/Jeep sixes also.

14 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

I used one of those Ebay yf type carbs on my 230 and been very happy with it.  They sell for about 60-70 bucks.

Here is the thread describing the replacement carb:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/51270-need-a-carburetor/?tab=comments#comment-544576

20190422_160032-1328x747.jpg

1 hour ago, greg g said:

You asked for a reasonable replacement so I will say again Holley for a slant six.

Hi Greg, I love Holleys. Maybe I am missing something as I am new to these engines, but I understood the 1953 P24  is an inline flathead 6 not a slant 6. Perhaps I am wrong, but here is a reference. https://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/pengines.html

I am only trying to make sure I find a reasonable match for the engine. Do you have a suggestion for a Holley model?

The only markings I can find on this old carb are some stamps across the base: on one side has CLC and on the other 0512. Thus I am starting to doubt the availability of a rebuild kit. 

The YF carbs are also a good suggestion and I have found one more solution. Vintage Power Wagons sells a kit to mount a 2 barrel Weber carb on the engine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLILVpJbF9UbXNoRVk/view

Decisions decisions and as a newby to these engines, I could use some wisdom here.

1 hour ago, Gear Grinder said:

but I understood the 1953 P24  is an inline flathead 6 not a slant 6. Perhaps I am wrong, but here is a reference

The carb don't know that. As long as the CID is not to far off and it can be easily connected, should work fine. 

Hi Greg, I love Holleys. Maybe I am missing something as I am new to these engines, but I understood the 1953 P24  is an inline flathead 6 not a slant 6. Perhaps I am wrong, but here is a reference. https://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/pengines.html

I am only trying to make sure I find a reasonable match for the engine. Do you have a suggestion for a Holley model?

The only markings I can find on this old carb are some stamps across the base: on one side has CLC and on the other 0512. Thus I am starting to doubt the availability of a rebuild kit. 

The YF carbs are also a good suggestion and I have found one more solution. Vintage Power Wagons sells a kit to mount a 2 barrel Weber carb on the engine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLILVpJbF9UbXNoRVk/view

Decisions decisions and as a newby to these engines, I could use some wisdom here.

I think Greg is suggesting that a good replacement would be the original equipment carb from a slant six, made by Holley.  In a later post, I stated that a similar Holley was also original on certain AMC and Jeep cars.   I have one of the latter that came on a '56 Plymouth engine that is being (slowly) completed for my 1/2T.  It fit the Plymouth like a glove, linkage, fuel line etc. 

12 hours ago, Gear Grinder said:

If you want the easiest, lowest-hassle installation, stay with a carb as close to the Carter BB original as possible. The Webers et al are fine carburetors but you are moving into the direction of hot rodding vs simply getting your vehicle back on the road.   :)

Here is clone that is nearly identical to the carb that came on the 218's:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/51270-need-a-carburetor/?tab=comments#comment-544498

c522_s__ra_p.jpg

I forgot your engine is from a ‘54, you may want a version of this carb with an automatic choke.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

According to my old Motors manual a 1954 Plymouth 6 cyl had a Carter BBS carb. I have 1 on my 1954 Ply engine, as well I have 2 spares. Simple carbs. Not hard to set up or rebuild. Seek out options on the internet if you like. They are out there.  My spare carbs here on the left and centre in the pic are the same Carter BBS carb. 

274FFD2E-5FFB-4DF6-8951-9DDB111EF990.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the Serial on the engine is P24*309002a which I understand to mean it is a 1953 Plymouth L6 218CID motor. The Willys truck still has its manual choke pull so I could run the manual choke. Also the exhaust manifold heat riser system has been disabled.  With all this in mind, my understanding is that a manual choke would be better. From what I have read I think:

The specific carb model that is stock is the Carter D6H2. - rebuilt around $300  

The Holley that seems to be proposed is the 1904 - rebuilt around $300

The YF knockoff is an inexpensive option - aound $100

The Weber 2 barrel with plate is around $300 from Vintage Power Wagons

Thoughts?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the Serial on the engine is P24*309002a which I understand to mean it is a 1953 Plymouth L6 218CID motor. The Willys truck still has its manual choke pull so I could run the manual choke. Also the exhaust manifold heat riser system has been disabled.  With all this in mind, my understanding is that a manual choke would be better. From what I have read I think:

The specific carb model that is stock is the Carter D6H2. - rebuilt around $300  

The Holley that seems to be proposed is the 1904 - rebuilt around $300

The YF knockoff is an inexpensive option - aound $100

The Weber 2 barrel with plate is around $300 from Vintage Power Wagons

Thoughts?

I think the Holley would be a 1920  which is very similar to the 1904.  At least that is what the one I have from the Jeep is, and it fits a 218/230 manifold..  I also have some 1904s from Fords and IHC, but those have a different, smaller mounting base.

A Carter BB would also work, just a lot taller but that shouldn't be an issue with the Willys hood height.

21 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

If you want the easiest, lowest-hassle installation, stay with a carb as close to the Carter BB original as possible. The Webers et al are fine carburetors but you are moving into the direction of hot rodding vs simply getting your vehicle back on the road.   :)

Here is clone that is nearly identical to the carb that came on the 218's:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/51270-need-a-carburetor/?tab=comments#comment-544498

c522_s__ra_p.jpg

I forgot your engine is from a ‘54, you may want a version of this carb with an automatic choke.

To me, this makes the most sense. Another alternative is to post a wanted ad for a used Carter BB and purchase a rebuild kit which are readily available. This is the carb the engine was designed to take.

Just my humble opinion but...you might wanted to remove the pressure regulator.

A Plymouth 6 doesn't turn high enough RPM to cause a mechanical fuel pump to overwhelm the float.

Those regulators have earned a reputation for problems. It is one of those things that just because something is available it doesn't mean it is useful.

Like I said it's only an opinion.

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Just my humble opinion but...you might wanted to remove the pressure regulator.

A Plymouth 6 doesn't turn high enough RPM to cause a mechanical fuel pump to overwhelm the float.

Those regulators have earned a reputation for problems. It is one of those things that just because something is available it doesn't mean it is useful.

Like I said it's only an opinion.

Totally agree. I think the pressure regulator was mounted to compensate for the alien carb that has been mounted. It is going away and I will take the pressure regulator out to start with. Still pondering carb options. Who has experience buying rebuilt carbs or carb kits? Any one particularly recommended. Anyone or source to avoid?

I plan to rebuild my Carter BB this weekend.  I'll document it on my webpage and post a link. 

Meanwhile, here's a link to a site with a bunch of carb manuals on it.  Most of them appear to be scans of hard copy versions, but they are useable.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carburetor-Manuals_ep_274.html